Introducing Mixing mom and 4 babies back into general flock HELP crazy leghorn

3Unicorns

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2015
Hi, I have a barred rocker hen raising 4 foster babies (no rooster) she took them beautifully and they are in a small cage inside my sleeping/laying hut. So everyone can see each other and get to know each other.

Last week I let the mom and babies into the big yard with 1 barred rocker, 1 araucana, and I leghorn. everyone was fine but the leghorn she went nuts jumped on a baby (saved before death).

It has been another week. This is a pain bcuz I do not have a grow up/grow out coop. So I let mom and babies in sleeping hut but when the other 2 need to lay I have to put everyone back in little cage.
Today Mom wanted out, so I put her in big yard and the Leghorn and her looked like to roosters at a cock fight. I needed a rake to break them up. I am not sure what to do. This White Leghorn is out for blood. She is a crazy pyscho chicken to begin with just very very hyper, but she is a consistent everyday egg layer (She will be my last Leghorn I prefer Rockers and Rhode Island Reds demeanor. But oh well I have had her for 4 years. NOW WHAT??? It seems the Leghorn is ****** the Rocker brought babies into the group. CRAZY

I travel for business and my neighbors will not do what I am doing and I am worried to leave the mom with the babies for 5 days locked in a small cage (spoiled hens) and now I am worried to let her in the flock.

Please any suggestions, how to introduce? grow out pens? without building? They are only 5 weeks old.

Grateful for feed back. Thank you. Yvonne

bow.gif

From my understanding of you get between them when mom is defending her chicks you just make the problem worse. That being said my broody doesn't let anyone near her and the others are to afraid to try.

Can you put the leghorn in a wire dog crate with feed/water while you are gone?

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't think she was protecting her chicks, maybe but the chicks were far off in a separate cage when this happened. I've now hear Leghorn hens think they are the roosters protecting flock and dominating. I may have to put her in a cage. She is out of control.

I think she is ready to separate soon but the babies are too small to be with big girls, what age do you suggest?

Thank you

I'm honestly not sure. If they are to small you will have to find a way to keep them separate. I used a panel of mesh wire and separated off part of my coop. Everyone could see each other but babies were safe, everyone got correct feed, and once they were big enough I simply removed the panel. Again, dog crates with some extra wire are a terrific way to do that.

Thank you.  I don't think she was protecting her chicks, maybe but the chicks were far off in a separate cage when this happened.  I've now hear Leghorn hens think they are the roosters protecting flock and dominating.  I may have to put her in a cage.  She is out of control. 

I think she is ready to separate soon but the babies are too small to be with big girls, what age do you suggest?

Thank you

Thank you very much. I divided the sleeping hut in half with a wire mesh fence so the Leghorn and Aricana could see and sleep with the Barred rockers and now 10 week old babies.
I have tried reintroducing them into the huge free range area this is 20' x 40' area. The Leghorn and Mama fight like roosters cock fight. I have never seen this in 25 yrs of owning chickens. Will they kill each other? Right now they are not last 30 mins together without a cock fight. The babies are about 3/4 full size to the Leghorn and Aricana, but they don't seem to fight, the babies just run when the fighting starts. But the 2 hens I am worried about. Please advise Thank you I can keep them separate for 2-3 more weeks but eventually they will all need to live together during the day. I just don't want them to kill each other.
Leghorns seem crazy!

Back
Top Bottom