Hawk not afraid

richard972

In the Brooder
May 13, 2016
Have a hawk chilling around that is not afraid of humans or my husky. Had my chickens out of the run in my backyard with a friend. All the squirrel were being loud so knew something was up. The hawk came over the tree and swooped down at us. Chickens are on lock down for the next few days.

I tried to get it to leave, even have my husky out but it does not care. Hawks are rare in the area due to a large crow population.

I dont think traditional control methods will help much here. But any advice is great.

If there's no chicken dinner available, your friendly visiting hawk will move on. It may take two or three weeks at most, but she will have to leave by then.. We had a Coopers hawk like that here a few years ago; it took three weeks. I'd rather worry about a visiting hawk than deal with dogs or foxes any day! Mary

I have had a problem with hawks since I began my chicken flock. I even lost almost a whole clutch of birds to them. My birds have a very large run but in the afternoon noon I let them free range on my farm. I had assumed my hawk problems were over as I hadn't lost one in quite a long time. Yesterday I was outside manning a burn pile of trees that had fallen, not 20 feet away beside my dogs house under a full canopy of adult trees a hawk got one of my adult BR hens and had her up 30 40 feet in the air almost got away with her. Between my dog, myself and her fighting for her life he released her. I honestly believe had he had a better grip on her he would have taken her. Lost a lot of feathers a few scratches and a hard fall she is ok. I was under the impression a hawk couldn't fly off with a 6 or 7 lb hen but I experienced this first hand. I had on a very bright shirt and my dog was in full sight of this hawk. Any suggestions on what to do as I feel none of my birds are safe from this very brave hawk. I have a very mature and large rooster I rescued from local animal shelter and a number of other roosters but this hawk was just unstoppable. Any suggestions I have a very large flock and can't imagine them being unable to free range some as that is what they have always done.

I can't free range my chickens, due to foxes, coyotes, dogs, etc, but my large run isn't covered either. I have had bad hawk problems in the past, and have several sightings this year, but no losses.
I ended up with one hawk who had no fear of me or my dog. I got out of my car, it was on my chicken fence, it didn't move. I slammed the door (hoping to startle it) but no reaction. I got my gun and shot near the hawk, not at it. That worked, it flew away. The next day it was about 100' away from the chicken pen, this time as soon as it saw me it flew away. Good luck getting rid of yours!

I can't free range my chickens, due to foxes, coyotes, dogs, etc, but my large run isn't covered either. I have had bad hawk problems in the past, and have several sightings this year, but no losses.
I ended up with one hawk who had no fear of me or my dog. I got out of my car, it was on my chicken fence, it didn't move. I slammed the door (hoping to startle it) but no reaction. I got my gun and shot near the hawk, not at it. That worked, it flew away. The next day it was about 100' away from the chicken pen, this time as soon as it saw me it flew away. Good luck getting rid of yours!

My run and coop are under construction adding on to existing hen house and half is covered but the older side is uncovered but my large rooster hangs on the uncovered side. He was given up by previous owner for beating up on turkeys, he is big, very big so I relatively feel safe in that regards but just don't want to keep them cooped up all the time. I'm frustrated because I thought I had scared the hawk off early spring but this hawk has no fear.

I live in the city so my advice does not apply to everyone. But the best bet is lock the chickens down until the hawk gives up. Also have a large crow and bluejay population that help me a ton.

Have a hawk chilling around that is not afraid of humans or my husky. Had my chickens out of the run in my backyard with a friend. All the squirrel were being loud so knew something was up. The hawk came over the tree and swooped down at us. Chickens are on lock down for the next few days.

I tried to get it to leave, even have my husky out but it does not care. Hawks are rare in the area due to a large crow population.

I dont think traditional control methods will help much here. But any advice is great.

Crows are not a hawk predator but rather a prey species for falcons and hawks. That is why crows are upset when a hawk is in the area.

Admittedly crows do reduce the hunting success of hawks because the crows act like an early warning system, but that is about all.

I have had hawks catch roosters who survived the encounter because the hawk was distracted long enough fighting off the crows that the hawk didn't have time to begin eating my chicken alive.

The reason that hawks are unafraid of humans now is because we have habituated hawks to treat humans with utter disdain.

In the dim dark past a hawk would not sit still on a telephone line while a car or pickup truck drove buy. The reason was that every farmer used to keep poultry as well as a loaded shotgun in his truck or car and a sitting hawk made a tempting target.

Now the few farmers who are left buy their eggs at the supermarket just like city people do.

Back
Top Bottom