Food

This is what I do....I wait till my first egg...I feed grower crumble...After first egg I mix grower and layer pellets with access to oyster shell...I feel Layer pellets do not have enough protein alone and can cause feather pecking and eating...
Other may not agree?

This is how I feed my Hens....

Cheers!

This is what I do....I wait till my first egg...I feed grower crumble...After first egg I mix grower and layer pellets with access to oyster shell...I feel Layer pellets do not have enough protein alone and can cause feather pecking and eating...
Other may not agree? 

This is how I feed my Hens....

Cheers!
Your approach makes sense to me, and I agree that layer feed tends to be low in protein. I have a mixed free range flock (ducks and chickens), and they all eat together. With ducks, including drakes, in the mix, I feed fermented chick starter now with some dried distiller's grains and offer free choice oyster shell and grit. My layers seem to be doing great on it, and shells are hard. If I had all layers, I'd do fermented layer feed with the added distiller's grains for more protein.

Your approach makes sense to me, and I agree that layer feed tends to be low in protein. I have a mixed free range flock (ducks and chickens), and they all eat together. With ducks, including drakes, in the mix, I feed fermented chick starter now with some dried distiller's grains and offer free choice oyster shell and grit. My layers seem to be doing great on it, and shells are hard. If I had all layers, I'd do fermented layer feed with the added distiller's grains for more protein.
Thank you....I only do what works for my birds...No expert at all...I feed my Ducks differently but that is another topic for another Thread..

I never tried fermented feed...Pros and Cons to almost all methods...

Cheers!

Thank you....I only do what works for my birds...No expert at all...I feed my Ducks differently but that is another topic for another Thread..

I never tried fermented feed...Pros and Cons to almost all methods...

Cheers!
I feed my juvenile ducks differently, too...but that, as you said, is better addressed in another thread.
1f642.png

I think I will feed layers pellets with a bit of growers mixed in for more protein & oyster shell
cheers Phil

Has growers got the same protein as layers
cheers Phil

Generally, layers is a little lower in protein. For what its worth, I feed layers to my flock (all laying) and nothing else - they seem fine.

I started my sex-links on layers feed at sixteen weeks, mixed 50/50 with start & grow for 2 weeks. Straight 18% layers pellets from eighteen weeks on. If you don't have sex-links, production reds or white leghorns. Start switch two weeks later, at eighteen weeks.
If you don't have an early spring hatch, before May. Then wait till first egg to switch to layers, but provide oyster shell free choice at sixteen weeks. GC

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom