(Resolved) My hen is lethargic, has white poop and is breathing heavily.

ForestAlice

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2016
US
My smallest bird, Little Honey isn't doing well at all. She hasn't laid any eggs yet, and she barely has a comb or a wattle so I can't tell if she's about to lay or not. She usually has a lot of fun outside and comes to me when I call her, but today she stayed in the corner of the coop and acted very differently. I took her inside and separated her form the others. She's very lethargic, and is sleeping right now in my room in a cage with some food and water. Her poop is whitish yellow and runny. She's drinking normally but not eating very much. Shes always been significantly smaller and skinnier than the other birds, as well. I'm very worried about her, my birds are really important to me.

Update: (Its a little graphic, chicken poop/vomit warning.) My dad held her while I felt in her vent for an egg that could be stuck, and she puked clear and yellow liquid on my dad and when my hand left her vent it was covered in yellow white liquid with little bits of green poop. I didn't feel an egg from what I've read on BYC, but it was under my finger if it was an egg. I think the egg should be straight into her vent, right? Either way, I need help and we need it quick. I'm really worried about Lil Honey, and I'm scared we're going to lose her. If you can't answer, please send the link to this forum to anyone you think can.

Last edited:
My smallest bird, Little Honey isn't doing well at all. She hasn't laid any eggs yet, and she barely has a comb or a wattle so I can't tell if she's about to lay or not. She usually has a lot of fun outside and comes to me when I call her, but today she stayed in the corner of the coop and acted very differently. I took her inside and separated her form the others. She's very lethargic, and is sleeping right now in my room in a cage with some food and water. Her poop is whitish yellow and runny. She's drinking normally but not eating very much. Shes always been significantly smaller and skinnier than the other birds, as well. I'm very worried about her, my birds are really important to me.

Update: (Its a little graphic, chicken poop/vomit warning.) My dad held her while I felt in her vent for an egg that could be stuck, and she puked clear and yellow liquid on my dad and when my hand left her vent it was covered in yellow white liquid with little bits of green poop. I didn't feel an egg from what I've read on BYC, but it was under my finger if it was an egg. I think the egg should be straight into her vent, right? Either way, I need help and we need it quick. I'm really worried about Lil Honey, and I'm scared we're going to lose her. If you can't answer, please send the link to this forum to anyone you think can.
Can you post some photos?
How old is she?

I'm trying to understand - when you felt for an egg, you felt one "under" your finger - did it feel like it was in the abdomen (like a lump?)
Does the abdomen feel swollen?

Offer her some vitamins in her water. Try giving some wet feed with some scrambled/hard boiled egg and see if she will eat a little for you. Keep her hydrated.

Try giving her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath and offer her some calcium.

From what you are describing she may have an internal laying or reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

Also check to make sure her crop is functioning properly since she vomited. Feel the crop before she sleeps and then first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks. The crop should be full at night, then empty in the morning.

Let us know how she is doing.

Can you post some photos?
How old is she?

I'm trying to understand - when you felt for an egg, you felt one "under" your finger - did it feel like it was in the abdomen (like a lump?)
Does the abdomen feel swollen?

Offer her some vitamins in her water. Try giving some wet feed with some scrambled/hard boiled egg and see if she will eat a little for you. Keep her hydrated.

Try giving her a soak in a warm epsom salts bath and offer her some calcium.

From what you are describing she may have an internal laying or reproductive disorder like Egg Yolk Peritonitis.

Also check to make sure her crop is functioning properly since she vomited. Feel the crop before she sleeps and then first thing in the morning before she eats or drinks. The crop should be full at night, then empty in the morning.

Let us know how she is doing.
Hey, thanks for the reply. She died yesterday morning.
I gave her a warm bath in epsom salts and it seemed to really relax her during her last few hours with me yesterday.
But thank you for telling me about feeling the crop and bringing up the reproductive disorders. That will help me do research in the future if any of my other girls get sick. Thank you for your time.

Back
Top Bottom