Recipe for hand-rearing an African Grey needed

ThIsafricanhome

Chirping
Nov 7, 2015
I was hoping someone would have a recipe or two that can be made at home for hand-reaering a baby African grey. We adopted a baby but when we got it, it was much younger than we were expecting and is not weaned. I would just go buy some or order some pre-made stuff if I could but we are in a remote village in Africa so this is not possible. Right now Im feeding a puree of carrots, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, collards, mustard greens, green beans, plantain, banana, papaya, scrambled eggs, tomato and moringa powder. The moringa powder adds a lot of protein and vitamins and minerals including calcium. So he/she isnt starving but the poops are watery. Brown log in the center of a clear puddle, no white. Should I mix in some cooked oatmeal and pumpkin or some other cooked grains? Any help is appreciated.

I was hoping someone would have a recipe or two that can be made at home for hand-reaering a baby African grey. We adopted a baby but when we got it, it was much younger than we were expecting and is not weaned. I would just go buy some or order some pre-made stuff if I could but we are in a remote village in Africa so this is not possible. Right now Im feeding a puree of carrots, sweet potatoes, swiss chard, collards, mustard greens, green beans, plantain, banana, papaya, scrambled eggs, tomato and moringa powder. The moringa powder adds a lot of protein and vitamins and minerals including calcium. So he/she isnt starving but the poops are watery. Brown log in the center of a clear puddle, no white. Should I mix in some cooked oatmeal and pumpkin or some other cooked grains? Any help is appreciated.
Oatmeal is very good for them. Pumpkins is also good for them as well. Rice is good for them as long as its cooked as well. As a breeder I suggest commercial formula but being in the middle of Africa Im sure you do not have access to it. How did you get the baby where you are at? It makes me upset that they sell babies so young without informing the new owners of the birds eating habbits (i,e still being hand fed, what foods they enjoy etc.) Good luck with your baby.

Back
Top Bottom