flock killed by predator one hen left

marine43

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 27, 2013
Last night predator got in coop. Apparently the chickens unplugged the automatic door when on roost.Killed all but one. I have a large flock of barred rocks with 2 roosters. Should I even attempt to put single older buckeye hen in with them? Was going to try putting her in pen inside coop . Was almost ready to dispatch her, but had to kill my favorite rooster, he fought a good fight and found him hiding in corner of the coop this morning I assumed he was dead but kicked a little when I picked him up. Broke my heart. Thanks for any advice.

Ugh! I have been there, and it is sickening. Recently I had coons.

I am understanding that you have two flocks? Fix the set up, and put one or two birds in with the buckeye. Wait a week, then add the 3 back into the flock.

Good luck, I am awaiting chicks now.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Thanks so much. That sounds like a good idea. She is hanging around outside their pen now. They seem to not mind her. I was going to put her in pen and place in their coop tonight just to see what happens. Birds are pretty young yet. We have coons and I have heard there is a pine marten up in woods.Sorry for your loss as well. Will try your idea tomorrow ! Thanks again .

Back
Top Bottom