Chicken Keeping His Eye Closed...

Chickensfan

Songster
Jun 26, 2016
California!
hello,
today i was out, and someone was watching my chickens for me. when i came back, he told me one rooster had attacked my favorite one. (my favorite one is Hats) he said Hats was upside down and his legs where twisted and he was making horrible sounds and that the other was on top of him. he also said he shooed the mean one away, and picked up Hats. he said he thought Hats had gone mental, and that he couldn't stand well. he gently placed Hats on the ground a few minutes later and Hats stood ok then. when i heard, before the first sentence was finished i rushed out of the door. Hats was ok. he was already roosting, yet it was still around 3pm. when i picked him up, he had a splotch of dried blood on one wattle, he flinched when i touched his ankle area, and he was keeping his right eye closed. i gently opened the eye the tiniest bit. i only managed to oped it a sliver, but it looked fine yet a little pink. i am wondering if the mean roo pierced him in the eye.
please help me.
~Marie

hello,
today i was out, and someone was watching my chickens for me. when i came back, he told me one rooster had attacked my favorite one. (my favorite one is Hats) he said Hats was upside down and his legs where twisted and he was making horrible sounds and that the other was on top of him. he also said he shooed the mean one away, and picked up Hats. he said he thought Hats had gone mental, and that he couldn't stand well. he gently placed Hats on the ground a few minutes later and Hats stood ok then. when i heard, before the first sentence was finished i rushed out of the door. Hats was ok. he was already roosting, yet it was still around 3pm. when i picked him up, he had a splotch of dried blood on one wattle, he flinched when i touched his ankle area, and he was keeping his right eye closed. i gently opened the eye the tiniest bit. i only managed to oped it a sliver, but it looked fine yet a little pink. i am wondering if the mean roo pierced him in the eye.
please help me.
~Marie

Hi Marie,

If you have a dog kennel or crate that you can place him it that would be good. Set it up in the run or near where the other chickens are so he is still seen and heard by the others.

If his eye is still shut, use some sterile saline to gently rinse the eye, he may have gotten pecked near the eye or could possibly have gotten some dirt in it during the scuffle.

Keeping him separated will give his leg/ankle time to heal by keeping him less active and safe from any chickens that may harm him. He may have a sprain, this will take a while to get better.

Offer some poultry vitamins in his water, his regular feed and some extra protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg.

Let us know how he is doing.

Hi Marie,

If you have a dog kennel or crate that you can place him it that would be good. Set it up in the run or near where the other chickens are so he is still seen and heard by the others.

If his eye is still shut, use some sterile saline to gently rinse the eye, he may have gotten pecked near the eye or could possibly have gotten some dirt in it during the scuffle.

Keeping him separated will give his leg/ankle time to heal by keeping him less active and safe from any chickens that may harm him. He may have a sprain, this will take a while to get better.

Offer some poultry vitamins in his water, his regular feed and some extra protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg.

Let us know how he is doing.
thanks! i do have a crate...i will use it. his eye is opened, but there is a small swollen lump on his top eyelid. do you need pics?

You can post some photos if you like.

Most likely the other chicken pecked him on the eye.
i let my chickens free range, so i think i will leave Hats in the coop. he doesn't like free ranging anyways. neither does his buddy, Palm-Palm, and 2 little polish sisters.
i can't get any good pics of him. sorry.

i let my chickens free range, so i think i will leave Hats in the coop. he doesn't like free ranging anyways. neither does his buddy, Palm-Palm, and 2 little polish sisters.
i can't get any good pics of him. sorry.
Sounds like a good idea
smile.png

Leave him in the coop with his buddy and see how it goes.

Keep us posted on his progress.

i noticed a small bald spot on Hats' neck that his wattles cover. i think the mean guy was trying to get to his neck. do you think he was trying to kill Hats?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom