My hens just died. She was fine this morning and now she's gone. Help are my others in danger?

roorooyew

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2016
North Carolina
First time chicken owner. My 24 week old PR hen just died in my lap. :( This morning everyone was fine. 11 girls and a roo. 10 now. Just now i went to give water and table scraps she came runnng. Everyone went for the fresh cold water as its been a hot day. She stayed at the door. I noticed she was panting....not unusaual on hot days however she was now layimg and one foot wouldnt uncurl. I sit with my girls every morning with my coffee and several times through out the day. This was a sudden onset. I took her out, she doesnt like to be held but didnt resist. On the porch i tried to give her water.within 5 min she couldnt hold her head up. Her gasping became worse. Her poop was normal. One foot curled and comb was faded. Within 10 min of me getting her out she was dead in my lap. No injuries, no lice or body mites. Vent was clean. I did notice her legs were a little rough but only just read about leg mites. Dont have a refrence as to what they look like yet (ill google after i post). Evryone else is fine......my roo is calling for her. What could have caused this to suddenly happen? This is my first loss. Im worried about the others. Any advice appreciated.
Ive reseached marek and the vaccine its self scares me. I try to keep them 100% organic.

First time chicken owner. My 24 week old PR hen just died in my lap. :( This morning everyone was fine. 11 girls and a roo. 10 now. Just now i went to give water and table scraps she came runnng. Everyone went for the fresh cold water as its been a hot day. She stayed at the door. I noticed she was panting....not unusaual on hot days however she was now layimg and one foot wouldnt uncurl. I sit with my girls every morning with my coffee and several times through out the day. This was a sudden onset. I took her out, she doesnt like to be held but didnt resist. On the porch i tried to give her water.within 5 min she couldnt hold her head up. Her gasping became worse. Her poop was normal. One foot curled and comb was faded. Within 10 min of me getting her out she was dead in my lap. No injuries, no lice or body mites. Vent was clean. I did notice her legs were a little rough but only just read about leg mites. Dont have a refrence as to what they look like yet (ill google after i post). Evryone else is fine......my roo is calling for her. What could have caused this to suddenly happen? This is my first loss. Im worried about the others. Any advice appreciated.
Ive reseached marek and the vaccine its self scares me. I try to keep them 100% organic.

:hugs I really sorry for your loss. I can't be much help with what made her die but I've never heard of a chicken deteriorate so quickly, without any other signs.

My condolences. I don't have any good suggestions as to what happened to your hen but if you do have an outbreak of Maerk's Disease then you are going to have other birds getting sick soon. The vaccine is safe. It is really too late in the game to vaccinate our flock at 24 weeks though. A necropsy might shed some light on your bird's situation. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I comes around and offers you some good insight. Best wishes!

I'm located in southern Virginia. I just finished mowing my back lawn and let my 9 hens into their run, but only 8 came out. When I checked for number 9 I found her lying down with her head under the ramp going into the coop. I picked her up, which she never let's me do, and her eyelids just drooped down. I placed her next to the water bowl. She looks like she won't make it thru the night. And your post has me worried. What is going on?

I'm located in southern Virginia. I just finished mowing my back lawn and let my 9 hens into their run, but only 8 came out. When I checked for number 9 I found her lying down with her head under the ramp going into the coop. I picked her up, which she never let's me do, and her eyelids just drooped down. I placed her next to the water bowl. She looks like she won't make it thru the night. And your post has me worried. What is going on?

I honestly think it was heat stroke. Everyone else still aoears to be happy and healthy. The humidity that day was hot hot hot and we had several cool days. She was a big girl and black. I really looked her over and could find nothing. Ive kept watch constantly and like i said eberyone else is good. I did go get vitiams to be prepared. I have one that just developed a respiratory cough again during the hottest part of summer i battled that alot. The humidity really takes it toll but im treating her and shes doing fine.
Did your girl make it? I sure hope she did.

Back
Top Bottom