When to start new feed

kstump19

Hatching
Mar 31, 2016
I have 12 chickens, and I got my very first egg today. (Yay!!!) So a I know that I need to get her on layer feed now instead of pullet feed, but how do I manage that since the others aren't laying yet? I don't think they will start for awhile, either. Do I need to separate her from the others to eat?

I have given up on trying to keep separate feeds for all the different needs. After reading the suggestions of the "flock masters" on BYC, I now feed everybody flock raiser and have a bowl of oyster shell available for the layers to eat as they want it. This has made it much easier to manage the feed.
The only time I will use grower feed is if I have baby chicks in a separate brooder. But when they go in the coop at 5 weeks, they go to flock raiser just like everyone else.

This is how I feed my Birds...
I feed my Pullets grower from 8 weeks till the First egg...I then mix layer pellets with grower and provide oyster shell...I like mixing in the grower for the extra protein..Low protein can cause feather pecking and eating..
My Birds look great and eggs always have nice shells...
Others may not agree? This is what works for me and my flock....

Cheers!

I'm happy to not bother with the mixing, so my flock gets Flock Raiser all the time. Babies, old hens, cocks, everyone does fine, and the laying hens eat their oyster shell as needed. Are you getting the calcium low enough for non-laying birds? We all do things a little differently, and it all works out pretty well. Mary

Thanks for all the advice! One more question: She didn't lay today, is that normal? I have buff orpingtons, Brahms's, and silkies. I'm 99% positive it's my BO that laid the egg, since she's been the only one showing signs of being ready and has been squatting for about a week now. But I have checked a few times today, and no egg.

Thanks for all the advice! One more question: She didn't lay today, is that normal? I have buff orpingtons, Brahms's, and silkies. I'm 99% positive it's my BO that laid the egg, since she's been the only one showing signs of being ready and has been squatting for about a week now. But I have checked a few times today, and no egg.

New layers have no idea what they are doing. Their ovaries are very confused by this new process. They may lay infrequently, they may lay large eggs, they may lay small eggs, they may even lay shellless eggs or double-yolkers. For the first several months, abnormal is normal.

I was kind of thinking it was probably just a normal part of the process, but I'm glad I don't need to worry. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom