Dog Attack/ Wound Care Question

MarleyGirl

Hatching
Sep 25, 2016
Hello Everyone,

We are in need of a little advice. A few days ago one of our hens was attacked by a neighbor's dog. This is the second time this has happened and last time a (different) hen suffered a good bite on the back but healed up great in a few weeks. This time the dog got her good and ripped a 5 x 3in gash on her breast and a deep puncture into her muscle. We have been cleaning it out twice a day with diluted iodine and applying Neosporin. She also has some small punctures on her back that are healing up nicely and the large wound seems to be healing. She is not eating much, but enough that I am not worried.

My concern is that there is a flap of skin that, because of gravity, seems to hanging off her chest. When the attack happened it didn't seem to be that separated from her body. Now that she is healing it is much more noticeable. In hindsight, we probably should have some how pulled the wound closed or bandaged the wound so that the skin flap healed back on her body, but seems like its too late to do this, 4 days later? She has not started to pick at it yet, but that is also a concern of mine.

Anyone have any advice or have experienced this after an injury. We will do whatever we can to help you out. Thanks!!

I can post pictures later today.

If it looks to be healing on both sides I'd try to wrap it back together maybe with vet wrap?

Back
Top Bottom