Coop Size

magjack

Hatching
Sep 25, 2016
I have the coop pictured below.

The dimensions are:
Overall Size 82" L x 34 3/8" D x 52 1/2" H (longest / widest / tallest points)
Interior of Outdoor Run 64" L x 23 1/2" D x 39 3/4" tall (backyard peak) x 19" tall under Living Quarters
Living Quarters Interior 25 1/4" L x 23 1/2" D x 24" - 31" H
Nesting Box Interior 20" L x 11 3/8" D x 14" H

It is housed within a 8' X 12' secure pen. See photo.

We have 4 hens -- 2 buff orpingtons, 1 brahma and 1 golden laced wyandotte.

They are about 19 weeks old. No eggs yet.

The nesting box is attached to the area where they roost. The photo is looking down into the roosting area. The nesting box is the section with the golf balls.

I had the nesting box separated from the roosting area with a piece of cardboard for a while so they wouldn't get used to sleeping in the nesting box. I removed that about a week or two ago. They are now pooping in there so they are probably sleeping in there, as well.

Questions: How do I prevent them from pooping/sleeping in there? Is the coop too small for all of them? Any modifications I can make to it or can I put a separate nesting box elsewhere in the run and just let them do what they want in the existing nesting box?

Any advice would be appreciated by this first time chicken owner.

That's a one bird coop.

Not counting best box you've got four square feet. Tiny tiny.

Roosts look barely off the ground and way too close together.

Just a really tight setup. They're in the nest box out of necessity.

I agree it's too small. Why do they market this and sell it on many sites for 2-4 chickens?? But that's another matter. My husband is going to build a bigger coop when he has time, but my chickens should be starting to lay so I'd like to figure out a temporary solution until their bigger coop is built.

We raised the roost bars and put a little more space between them. We also put a divider in the nesting box as a friend suggested. Last night, one figured out to go on the roost bar, but the others decided to squish into one nesting box. This morning both nesting boxes were filled with poop again so clearly they're sleeping in them. I'm considering making a nesting box out of a rubbermaid tub as a temporary fix and just letting them continue to sleep in the existing nesting box. My question is can I put the temporary box in the run either on the ground or raised up? Would it be better to have it in the space under the coop (removing some of the wire so I can access it)? The run is pretty big for 4 chickens and is predator proof (at least I've taken every precaution I can).

Cover nests in late afternoon, then uncover well after dark or early in the morning to 'train' them to use roosts.
I suppose you could put a nest out in the run, depending on your climate and ability to make the nest totally weather proof.

Back
Top Bottom