Sand as coop bedding

5138bug

Chirping
Mar 20, 2015
Southbury CT
So what is the real story on using sand as bedding. I've read a lot about the benefits
of using sand as bedding sounded like a good thing but I just read article stating that
there is a lot of respiratory problem with sand, I would sure like to hear from some one you has
been using sand for a long period of time on the pros and cons.

Depends....
-in run or in coop?
-what is climate?
-size of coop or run?

I used it for brooder(3' x 6') bedding and loved the 'easy' sift up of poops.
But learned after a few batches of chicks that it becomes saturated with pulverized poop that is impossible to remove, and when that gets damp it stinks really, really bad.
Many folks have come to this realization.

Used it to fill some holes in yard from an auto accident. Luckily it was a relatively small amount, I can't imagine dealing with the amount in a larger coops or runs.

I do use it, mixed with PDZ, about 1/2" deep in the poop boards under roosts in coop, works good there.

Have you discovered the advanced search yet?
advanced search>titles only>sand

Thanks for posting this. I want to know also. The Chicken Chick recommended sand as THE bedding for inside the coop,
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/09/chicken-coop-bedding-sand-litter.html
but I've heard it retains moisture instead of absorbing it. I'm deciding whether to use any bedding for winter, as I have a friend who has had chickens for years and doesn't use any, just scrapes it daily.

Last edited:
I use sand in my coop without any issues...During winter I run a heat lamp..If water spills I turn the sand and it dries quickly...I use a kitty litter scoop to clean poop under my roost daily...My birds dust bath in the sand...The poop I pile and use it under trees and flower beds in the spring...

Cheers!

So what's a newbie supposed to believe...
Here Lisa of "Fresh Eggs Daily" says
- Limiting access to sand (no sand in the coop, please, it's just a bad idea for so many reasons)
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/07/all-about-chicken-crops-and-poultry.html#more
Now I'd like to know the so many reasons too.
Can the experts please make up their minds, soon. Thanks !
Anything you read on the internet, whether folks on a forum or ones with advertising packed blogs, must be taken with a grain of salt (grain of sand? haha!).
You'll have to look at all the options, anecdotes, and make your own decision.
There are many different ways to do things 'right'........'right' being what is 'right' for you in your situation.

Thanks, yes you're right. I guess I shall have to find my own right way by trial and hopefully not too much error.
I think I'm going to try sand on the poop boards as soon as we make them and pine shavings on the floor come this winter.
What type of sand and where to get it?

Thanks Aart, that link is great. I'm still really new and have to find my way around this site, so I appreciate your directing me, especially as we're in the process of building our winter coop.

Flywheel, oh , yes, of course. I guess I just wasn't sure how it would practically work out.

Back
Top Bottom