Turkeys

They will usually start mating the following Spring after they hatch, so close to a year of age, give or take a few months.

Ok so do I need a incubator or can I let my royal palm hen seat on them or does it matter?

There's nesting boxes in the coop I thought bout dropping one to the ground would that work

Yes, I do. However my adult pair were both killed this past spring. The hen was killed while on her nest, which was in a patch of trees bordering our property. She was not broody, just laying her daily egg. So for my current two, one of which I know is a hen and the other I am not sure about yet, I will be coming up with a nesting situation for inside the run. I arched cattle panel over the run and made a roost for them in the run that is 6' up and that is where they sleep, and now I am planning a suitable nest box. They like to be hidden in brush and within 6 feet or so of an "edge" (tree line, fence line, etc). However, if you do not free range the requirements are less stringent as they will be forced to lay in their enclosure. I have seen people make enclosures similar to dog houses; some others use the igloo type dog houses. For my guineas and turkeys I am considering a base like a large pan of sorts with fencing arched over the top and into that I will weave sticks, weeds, leaves, etc. The more natural seeming I can make it, the more appealing it will be, I think.

Yes, I do. However my adult pair were both killed this past spring. The hen was killed while on her nest, which was in a patch of trees bordering our property. She was not broody, just laying her daily egg. So for my current two, one of which I know is a hen and the other I am not sure about yet, I will be coming up with a nesting situation for inside the run. I arched cattle panel over the run and made a roost for them in the run that is 6' up and that is where they sleep, and now I am planning a suitable nest box. They like to be hidden in brush and within 6 feet or so of an "edge" (tree line, fence line, etc). However, if you do not free range the requirements are less stringent as they will be forced to lay in their enclosure. I have seen people make enclosures similar to dog houses; some others use the igloo type dog houses. For my guineas and turkeys I am considering a base like a large pan of sorts with fencing arched over the top and into that I will weave sticks, weeds, leaves, etc. The more natural seeming I can make it, the more appealing it will be, I think.

The simplest way to make a nesting area that a turkey will use is to lean a pallet or wide board against a wall.

Back
Top Bottom