Foul Pox?

Ashley84

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Burleson, Texas
Help! I've noticed my girls all have black spots all over their comb . It popped up all the sudden. They are acting fine from what I can tell. The only thing I have done different is put new leaves in the coop recently. I'm new to chicken raising. I am kind freaked out about how nasty this looks. Does it look like foul pox? Or could it be something else? If so, do i need to do anything to help them get over it or just let it run its course? Are the eggs safe to eat?
Thanks in advance

Here is a pic of one of them

That's fowl pox alright! It's nothing to worry about since the type they have, from what I can see, is the dry variety. If you want you can apply some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on the spots. I had a severe outbreak last year and all of my chickens and turkeys had it really bad, the only one that didn't make it was the one who got the pox in her eye and it became infected. No one else died from it but they all dropped like flies when they contracted Avian flu a couple months later.

Back on the pox though, there are two types wet and dry. Dry is the scabs that your birds have, wet is where they get these things that look like cheesy wads in their mouth. Wet pox is the type you have to watch for. Mine never got wet pox but I continuously checked inside their mouths to make sure they didn't have anything in their because it can block their airway if not kept under control.

I'm not sure about the eggs because mine weren't old enough to lay eggs then. Just let it run its course, it could take several weeks got it to completely go away but they should be fine if you watch them. Also go check out the threads on fowl pox there's a really good one but it's pretty graphic with the pictures of pox.

It looks like Fowl Pox. It is usually from mosquito and/or insect bites. Fowl Pox will generally resolve itself in a few weeks. You can apply some iodine to the scabs to help dry them up, but don't pick off the scabs.

Make sure waterers are kept clean and sanitized. Offer your girl(s) some vitamins in their water once a week and add some extra protein to their diet (egg, tuna, mackerel or meat).

Usually after having Pox, they will build an immunity.

You can eat the eggs.

Keep us posted.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Last edited:
That's fowl pox alright! It's nothing to worry about since the type they have, from what I can see, is the dry variety. If you want you can apply some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on the spots. I had a severe outbreak last year and all of my chickens and turkeys had it really bad, the only one that didn't make it was the one who got the pox in her eye and it became infected. No one else died from it but they all dropped like flies when they contracted Avian flu a couple months later.

Back on the pox though, there are two types wet and dry. Dry is the scabs that your birds have, wet is where they get these things that look like cheesy wads in their mouth. Wet pox is the type you have to watch for. Mine never got wet pox but I continuously checked inside their mouths to make sure they didn't have anything in their because it can block their airway if not kept under control.

I'm not sure about the eggs because mine weren't old enough to lay eggs then. Just let it run its course, it could take several weeks got it to completely go away but they should be fine if you watch them. Also go check out the threads on fowl pox there's a really good one but it's pretty graphic with the pictures of pox.

Thank you for all the great info!

Wyorp is the iodine straight or mixed with something?

Thanks
Kimber

You can apply the Iodine "straight". What I would do is pour some in a small container - a coke bottle top or something similar works well, then dip a q-tip in the Iodine and apply it. This way your Iodine bottle and the dropper that goes in it stays clean.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom