Slipped Tendon

ckbaron

Hatching
Sep 25, 2016
I am new to the chicken business. I have 14 beautiful chicks that are growing well. After four weeks, one of my chicks developed a slipped tendon in one leg which has turned the foot sideways. She limps badly but does get around, eats, drinks, etc. She is now six weeks old. There is no chance of re-positioning the tendon. Her leg is permanently bent. Just wondering what the long term prognosis might be. After she is full grown, will she be able to have a semi-normal life? Do chickens with this problem die early? I don't wish to cull her if I don't have to. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the referral. This chick definitely has a slipped tendon. I can feel it on the side of her hock. It is very tight and I could not manipulate it as her leg is rigidly bent. I suspect she had a pre-disposition for this. Maybe a malformed groove in the hock that allowed the tendon to slip out of position. I don't plan to cull her at this point. But I don't know if she can remain mobile as she gains weight.

Back
Top Bottom