Tolbunt

SRupp

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 7, 2012
I have 3 Tolbunt chickens, first time I have had this breed. They were hatched April 17, 2016. so they are 5 months old. My concern is that none are laying eggs BUT none are crowing like roosters either, so I don't know what sex these birds are. I would think if they were roosters they would be crowing by now or if hens, I would be getting some eggs at this point. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestion on this concern? Thank you

Not sure what you mean by Tolbunt - there is no breed called that. There is a variety of Polish known as Tolbunt, is that what you mean?

Five months is low end for a bird to begin laying. Many won't start until six months and seven or even eight isn't unheard of. Not to mention that Polish - if that's what they are - are not really bred for production, so it's not unusual for them to start laying well past the six or seven month mark. The same goes for crowing - they can crow as early as three or four months, but a late bloomer is not unusual.

At this age, it will be very easy for someone with an experienced eye to tell gender. Try posting clear, individual photos of each bird in the "What Breed or Gender is This?" forum. Be sure to include an age.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Yes I meant the variety of Polish known as Tolbunt.

Back
Top Bottom