Help! Found roo hanging!

carolinasculpture

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Hello! I wend down to the coop to check on my chickens today around 2pm. Usually everyone runs to greet time, today all was quiet. Went in and our Willow (one of the super friendly hens) ran over and wouldn't quit making noise. I kept asking her where Mr Cletus was as I looked around. Finally found him in the coop, hanging by his spur! He managed to get caught in some of the liner for the poop board. He must have been there all day, I couldn't believe he was still alive! Anyway, took him down and over to the water, as expected, he was really un sturdy on his feet. So I put him in a dog crate with water and scratch. Covered part of the crate, but left him down there where he could see his girls. He did drink some, but is mostly just sitting there panting. Obviously stresses, it has been 4 hours...
Should I leave him in the run? Place him on the roost tonight? Bring him up to the house? Any other suggestions?
Stats: coop is 6x9, roost is about 3 1/2' off the floor with a ramp, roost itself is a rounded off 2x4. There are 7 hens with him plus 4 pullets that are 3 months old, they run with the big girls as they choose or are in their smaller run. Run is 50x50, covered with net. Roo is at least 7 years old, we have had him for 2. He is an EE. If I can find a pic, I'll post it.
. This is him a few months ago. Right now he is in a crate, panting, with considerably less feathers. :(

I would keep him in the crate until he looks better, but still let him out for a bit during the day. As for where you should keep him at night, is the crate big enough to fit inside the coop? If it is that's where I would keep him. Keeping him in the coop is a place he's more comfortable and with the hens in there to he should be alright

Thank you! The crate will easily fit in the people side of the coop. He will be able to hear his girls.m I am going to move him in now, poor guy!
Will update when I get back up.

Of course, the coop door is about 1/4 inch too small for the crate. Put him in the crate on the ground in the little run. Now, of course, it is raining! Gonna go back down and bring him up. Wish I had in the first place.

Ok, got him up in the spare time room. He isn't panting anymore, but opens his mouth when he breathes. He did "warn" me about the cats. First sound I have heard him make. Settled him in, put towels over the crate, shut the cats out...
Now, what signs of stress should I look for? Anything that will make him more comfortable? He has water, scratch and mealworms, but doesn't seem interested. Just let him rest?
Thank you!

He might be in shock, my hen hurt her leg pretty bad a few days ago and I didn't see her eat anything that wasn't directly out of my hand but she did drink. I think in a day or two he should be getting back to normal

Sounds like it's been several hours--since he's not dead, I think he'll be okay. Water and dim/dark will do him the most good, I think. I think low blood flow to extremities is what bothered him the most, just like if your foot fell asleep. I think in the morning he'll be ready to go out and play.

Yes! I definitly think shock, as I would be in shock if I had hung by my toenail for 7ish hours! Do you think I should offer a heating pad?

Back
Top Bottom