Crows

Weehopper

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
I have resident crows, meaning they have staked out my place as part of their territory and raise their young here. I really like them. They have been here many years. I keep my nest boxes on my back porch where it is easy for me to collect the eggs. Anyway, I stepped out the backdoor today and my pair of crows came flying out of a nest box. I walked over to see why they were in there (though I pretty much knew the answer). Sure enough, my BCM pullet had laid her egg, and the crows were happily eating it. Had I not seen them, I would have assumed one of the hens had taken to eating eggs. You never know....
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Last edited:
Ha! I know a while back there was story on a family that fed their resident crows, and the crows would bring them shiny objects and things. I have a Merlin hawk that lives in the woods behind my house and will perch near my chickens. My chickens are still unfazed by her. Here is the link to the crow story http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026

Yup. I have read that story. Luckily I don't need to worry about that happening. We are in the country on a couple of acres. The only time my crows have called in their friends is when a hawk or owl appear. Then, the word travels through the neighborhood like fire, and here they all come. Then, when the danger is gone, they all go their separate ways. Pretty amazing. Such smart birds. So I don't minding losing an egg now and then. I have even seen them in the chicken coop, where the chickens sleep at night. Not much they can hurt there. I just wanted to let people know it isn't always a chicken who eats eggs.

Neat story!

It amazes me about crows. In Indiana, farmers shake their fists at crows because they are after the corn. Here in Texas, I am saying 'Come stay with me'. I love that they chase the hawks and owls away. What a crazy world we live in. :)

Crows are welcome here, too. I grew up in the suburbs thinking crows were just pests that would eat all the fruit from our trees and make a lot of noise...now that I'm on my own acreage with chickens and ducks, I'm happy to see crows (have had past losses to hawks). Heck, I'm happy to see any birds around that will deter hawks.

I have seen a magpie eating a wren chick out of a nest, the parents yelling their heads off impotently: I wouldn't put this past a crow. But the main problem I have is jackdaws - we have enormous flocks of them in my town - eating all the hen-food (my hens are free-range). How can you tell if the hens are getting any of it at all? My cat, an excellent mouser, can't get at these clever and opportunistic birds. - Is an enclosed hen-run the only answer?

What about the crows sharing in compost pile , I have a huge one right outside their coops. I'm afraid to let my chickens on it for disease from crows. They were dragging my McDonald's waste back to their nest all day.

Back
Top Bottom