How long do chickens need electrolytes in their water?

There's no need to give them on a daily basis. Sure, they can help give their immune system a boost and general health but they are generally not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome-byc.gif

I don't use them as a rule, ever. Not for baby chicks, etc. Plain ol water is best for most birds.

I have read that electrolytes are high in potassium, which can stress a chicken's heart in excessive doses, so I think one needs to be very careful about using them. However, I live in an extremely hot climate (frequent triple digits), so during the summer I give my adult birds one day of electrolyte water every two or three weeks (I use Durvet powder), and it seems to help them feel comfortable. That works for me and my birds, but everyone has different approaches, of course.

Baby chicks, at hatch, but only then. Adult birds if they are acting stressed with hot weather. (seem off balance, stumbling) If I'm having a difficult time in summer heat, I know it's time to check my flock. Injured birds or stressed birds could benefit. Plain water is best, and when giving electrolytes, always offer plain water at the same time.

I have read that electrolytes are high in potassium, which can stress a chicken's heart in excessive doses, so I think one needs to be very careful about using them. However, I live in an extremely hot climate (frequent triple digits), so during the summer I give my adult birds one day of electrolyte water every two or three weeks (I use Durvet powder), and it seems to help them feel comfortable. That works for me and my birds, but everyone has different approaches, of course.
Ditto Dat^^^

I too give some when it's excessively hot, it really seems to help.

How long do chickens need electrolytes in their water? Our Welsumers are 4 1/2 months old. Thanks in advance

I don't know that chickens need electrolytes in their water because chickens don't sweat.

However I do add a small amount of electrolytes to the water of my birds if I am going to ship them or otherwise stress them like when dubbing..

It may even improve muscle function but I don't know one way or the other.

What I would recommend is to observe the water intake and if a hen or rooster drinks water to the point of throwing it back up, then electrolytes may be in order.

Your birds may suffer kidney damage from too much electrolytes in their water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, save your money for things that really matter. I make my own electrolyte. It cost pennies to make. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of recipes. Mine uses a bit of Jello powder, sugar, salt, baking soda, and water.

I don't know that chickens need electrolytes in their water because chickens don't sweat.

However I do add a small amount of electrolytes to the water of my birds if I am going to ship them or otherwise stress them like when dubbing..

It may even improve muscle function but I don't know one way or the other.

What I would recommend is to observe the water intake and if a hen or rooster drinks water to the point of throwing it back up, then electrolytes may be in order.

Your birds may suffer kidney damage from too much electrolytes in their water.

I've wondered about that also.....dogs don't get electrolytes, either.

Back
Top Bottom