Are Eggs still ok

Greg88

Songster
6 Years
Sep 1, 2015
N.W. Arkansas
Was traveling last week and a BO hen went broody. Wife gathered eggs and put 12 under her Monday nite. That day by chance the hen had switched nests she was on.
I got home Tuesday afternoon. When I went out to check her she had moved back to the orginal nest, leaving the eggs untended.

My question, are the eggs still viable after her setting on them overnight, and possibly part of the day and then getting cold for a few hours? or do I need to start over with new eggs?
I moved them back under her, in the "preferred" nest and she is still under them.

They'll be fine. It was early enough in the incubation process that development hadn't even really started yet. If she settles on them now, they might be a day late hatching if you count from Monday is all.

Better keep an eye on her tho, she may switch nests again.....
.....why many folks choose to segregate a broody with mesh, creating an area adjacent to main coop with enough room for a single nest, feed/water, and room to stretch and poop.

.....why many folks choose to segregate a broody with mesh, creating an area adjacent to main coop with enough room for a single nest, feed/water, and room to stretch and poop.

Then you don't have staggered hatches or busted eggs because hens fight each other or get jealous or try to share nests. In the real world a hen will chose a personal nest and only lay and sit in her favorite box. When we humans get involved in making decisions for hens it is never the best outcome.

Quote:
Thanks, wondered about that

Back
Top Bottom