None of my chickens will roost in coop at night ...

FarmerAnn

Hatching
Apr 14, 2016
I have had all my chickens since they were babies
but they will not ever go in there coop ... anyone have any ideas or point me in the right direction ???
Thank you !
if this is not the right area can someone tell me where to post this ?

Did you first lock them in the coop for a week or so? Then open the run for a week and then Free range....They need to learn one thing first in order to know where home is....

Chickens need a bit of training.....Not much though...

Cheers

I did .. I locked them in every night came out let them out into there temp pen .. then free ranged them but that is another process .. or problem they keep going houses away from there home

When you say you locked them every night - does that mean that you let them out during the day? To help them associate the coop with "home", they need to be kept in the coop for a period of a few days, with food and water, obviously.

Can you share a picture of this coop? Hard to say without seeing it, but there are coops that are miserable death traps that most birds would avoid going in, if nothing else out of the need for self preservation. They won't intentionally go into a place to suffer if they don't have to. I know that was the case with my daughter's first set of birds. The coop she had wasn't too good and on their own, they found much better alternatives that in their eyes were a whole lot better.

So again, hard to say without seeing it. BTW, no judgements here. If they are not using it, there is a reason.

Back
Top Bottom