Bathing a new chick/dry sticky

angnic22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2016
Would love everyone's advice. This is my first hatch. First 5 were great, #6 not so great. He hatched in the middle of the night. 90% of his feathers are matted. He yolk sac (I assume) was dried to him. I got him out, moistens the yolk sac to where it can fall off, but he's so gummed. He won't open his eyes. They open, but he doesn't open them. I wiped him down with warm water and returned to brooder but I'm so worried about him.

I know I need to keep him warm. But I'm terrified. I don't know what to do and I don't want him to die. I have one other who has a couple sticky spots but they aren't anything to worry about. His eyes are open, he's active, totally normal.

What is your advice??

Gently wipe with a warm wash cloth. The important thing is to keep it warm. You are correct. The chicks will "clean each other off" for the most part. I would focus on the eye issue.

Is it eating and drinking? If so, that is a great sign. If not, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes certain chicks just don't thrive. I wish you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.

Thank you so much. He hasn't ate or drank yet but he's not yet 24 hours old. The others didn't drink until the next day so there's still hope. I'll keep you posted.

reckon I should've checked on him first. He didn't make it through the night. RIP little guy.

Back
Top Bottom