Paver Sand

tjparker60

Chirping
Mar 2, 2016
Has anyone ever used paver sand in their coop? I'm using construction sand in there now and hate all the large stones. I'd like to use that in my run and paver sand in my coop. The company said it is coarser than play sand, all natural and rinsed. Ideas, suggestions???

Coarser sand is better, within reason, pebbles would be a pain.
Rinsed can be good, should mean less dust that can become airborne particles.

I'd make sure that stuff doesn't have anything that helps it 'lock up' when wetted, many paver block sands do.

The 'names' of sand is varied and hard to define, there are really no 'standards'.

I use sand(mixed with PDZ) on my poop boards but would not use it as bedding in coop or run.

I wrote the company and the man said it was all natural, nothing used it in! I'm going to get a bag and see!

I have used all sorts of sand, whatever is available, even play sand if it's all natural. I like construction sand the best, but I've used a mixture for years in my run and have no issues at all. Very easy to rake and turn over, add a bag every so often and sometimes spray down in the hot summer, works great, no smell and the chickens love to scratch and dust bathe in it. We remove the top layer every couple of years and use in the garden too.

Back
Top Bottom