Button Quail chick ill please HELP ME

Nattytash

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2016
I am new to incubating and raising chicks and we got our first button quail hatched its now about 4 days old and has been showing signs of fatigue with a drooping head and lameness to walk, it is struggling to eat I tried to feed it by hand but it wouldn't take it we feed it chick starter crumb and we mash it up into powder. I've had to hand feed it water which it takes slowly and it hasn't had a stool in 2 days now I don't know what to do can anyone help me?

I am new to incubating and raising chicks and we got our first button quail hatched its now about 4 days old and has been showing signs of fatigue with a drooping head and lameness to walk, it is struggling to eat I tried to feed it by hand but it wouldn't take it we feed it chick starter crumb and we mash it up into powder. I've had to hand feed it water which it takes slowly and it hasn't had a stool in 2 days now I don't know what to do can anyone help me?
My experience is with chickens and ducks, so that's my frame of reference. A chick that can't poop is a very serious problem. If this was a sick chick of mine, I'd get some vitamins and electrolytes into it ASAP, like Sav-A-Chick (TSC sells it) or Poultry Nutri-Drench.

Does the chick have a crusted-up vent ("pasty butt")? A blockage there could be preventing elimination. Is the temperature in the brooder right for a chick of that age, and not too chilly or warm?

Be sure to check for pasty butt - it can be fatal if not treated timely. Here's a BYC thread that may be helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/827/help-pasty-butt. Good luck!

Its butt looks like the feathers are wet when its not actually wet and it don't look like a blockage to me but I am new to this stuff we have the temperature at 34-35°c we did open the small window in the room as some info said that they required fresh air so that might be the error plus its water is just tap water and the crumbs may of not gotten crushed enough.

Unfortunately the poor little chick passed away but now we got some ideas of stuff we did wrong and are going to prepare for the next chick and hopefully all goes well

My condolences on your loss. I didn't want to mention it earlier, but when I got my first batch of chicks, the only chick that wouldn't eat or poop (it was a couple of days old) also died. Now that I have more experience with them, maybe the outcome would be different...or maybe it wouldn't.

Best wishes for your next chicks!

Back
Top Bottom