Too full?

rottlady

Songster
Mar 20, 2016
Georges Mills, NH
So fluffy the Delaware looks like she ate a balloon the last 3-4 days
Eats like a horse lays an egg a day super active
The crop just feels full not hard it is squashy But she gaps periodically like they do when a too full crop

they have a bowl of grit but I did just give them a shovel if dirt as well just in case (they don't free range)
Thoughts?

She is normally this fluffy, that is how she got her name

Last edited:
Does her breath smell?

Have you checked the crop at night (full) and then first thing in the morning before she has anything to eat or drink? Should be flat or nearly flat.
If it is not emptying or she has smelly breath she most likely has a partially impacted crop or sour crop.
If she is a glut, then she may have a pendulous crop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html

Breath does not smell at all she acts fully normal comb is nice dark red laying daily
Crop was still bulbous this am but they have food 24/7 so am taking it away tonight for 15 hrs

Breath does not smell at all she acts fully normal comb is nice dark red laying daily
Crop was still bulbous this am but they have food 24/7 so am taking it away tonight for 15 hrs

Good idea to take the food out so you can check her in the am. I have one girl who gets down from the roosts early am, eats, then goes back to roost/sleep, so she usually has a partial - to full crop in the mornings. If I have not observed this on the cams in the coop, I would think she had a crop problem.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

She was not empty this am less full but not empty
I read up a lot on sour crop last night and several sites recommended holding hen under arm upside down and emptying the crop by hand
Tried that nothing came up then found more info saying not to so guess glad it did not work
I massaged her crop a bit this am and she did burp a yucky smell but her breath itself is fine

Have probiotics and grapefruit seed extract in the water washed the pail out thoroughly

They eat mostly pellets with omega egg maker mixed in plus about a cup of finch seed and handful dry mealworms once a day to get them back into their pen after their am exercise in the big room their pen is in
Once in a while I give them grass and clover cut short

Nothing has changed the mealworms are the newest but started them 3 weeks ago

She was not empty this am less full but not empty
I read up a lot on sour crop last night and several sites recommended holding hen under arm upside down and emptying the crop by hand
Tried that nothing came up then found more info saying not to so guess glad it did not work
I massaged her crop a bit this am and she did burp a yucky smell but her breath itself is fine

Have probiotics and grapefruit seed extract in the water washed the pail out thoroughly

They eat mostly pellets with omega egg maker mixed in plus about a cup of finch seed and handful dry mealworms once a day to get them back into their pen after their am exercise in the big room their pen is in
Once in a while I give them grass and clover cut short

Nothing has changed the mealworms are the newest but started them 3 weeks ago
She may have a slow crop.
I'm sure you provide access to poultry grit, but if not you may want to make that available free choice.

@TwoCrows article is very good, if you haven't read it, you may find it helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Yup they have a dish of poultry grit avail 24/7 I also dumped some on the floor today
She was super mad that I held her to keep her from eating the seed this am ( I toss the seed in the cage to get them all back in after their exercise in the building time)
So far she acts fine and is still laying

Last edited:
Yup they have a dish of poultry grit avail 24/7 I also dumped some on the floor today
She was super mad that I held her to keep her from eating the seed this am ( I toss the seed in the cage to get them all back in after their exercise in the building time)
So far she acts fine and is still laying
lol.png
Sounds like she is a good eater. Yes, I can see it now, a mad hen not getting her seeds - you may have to sneak her a little apple, watermelon or hard boiled egg
wink.png

Just keep an eye on her, she may be over indulging. Limiting her treats like you are doing may be helpful just to see if there is any change.

Fluffys crop is a bit smaller this am
Less doughy feeling mostly all I feel are undigested seeds from a couple days ago which is a big improvement
She was also less docile for the crop massage session because she wanted to be down running about and scrounging in the room
So I am optimistic
She is getting no treats I hold her while the others eat theirs for going back in pen
Water has probiotics, grapefruit seed extract, echinacea, artemisia (those 3 are one capsule) and Mediterranean oregano oil in it
Here is a pic from this am her crop is now about half the size it was

Last edited:
Fluffys crop is a bit smaller this am
Less doughy feeling mostly all I feel are undigested seeds from a couple days ago which is a big improvement
She was also less docile for the crop massage session because she wanted to be down running about and scrounging in the room
So I am optimistic
She is getting no treats I hold her while the others eat theirs for going back in pen
Water has probiotics, grapefruit seed extract, echinacea, artemisia (those 3 are one capsule) and Mediterranean oregano oil in it
Here is a pic from this am her crop is now about half the size it was

Sounds like you are making progress.
Keep us posted on how it goes, this will be helpful to others.

She's a lovely girl
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom