Starter feed or grower feed at 7 weeks old?

aim0474

Chirping
Aug 23, 2016
Denver
I have read both that I should keep the pullets on starter feed until moving them on to layer feed at about 18 or so weeks, once they start laying. I have also read that they should be moved to a grower feed at 4 weeks. I am considering ordering a 50 lb bag of organic food from New Country Organics and am not sure which I should order? I do have about half of a large bag of chick feed from the local feed store (Purina non medicated) that I need to finish up but at the rate they are kicking it around it wont take to long. Ugh.....

I personally would buy growers. Even if they do not not finish the bag before they start laying, you can offer optional oyster shell as a calcium supplement. Many members feed like this, as a matter of course as growers provides a little more protein and its great for feeding flocks of mixed ages. If you only have pullets, then switching to layers feed, after the growers feed is done is fine.

Awesome thanks. I am going to get the growers then. If I am lucky 1 bag is all I will need before they switch to layer feed. I like that is has recognizable food in it, just wish it was corn free.

I do not know what you mean by recognisable feed? Corn? That sounds like scratch too me?
I feed Grower crumble from 8 weeks till the first egg...After first egg until birds turn a year old, I feed Grower and Layer 50/50 ratio for the extra protein. With oyster shell in a separate dish...

Cheers!

Your starter is most likely not corn free. Check the protein content of the grower. If it's not at least 16%, I'd not buy it. But, that's just my opinion. You might consider fermenting their feed. If they are "kicking it around", you might just as well give them some $ bills to kick around as well. Fermented feed gives them superior nutrition for many reasons, and it totally eliminates all waste. How many birds? If only 4 (what I see in your avatar) you'll never use a 50# bag of anything before it goes stale. (Per one widely published nutrition expert: 42 days after milling date, most feed has lost a lot of nutrients, and is quite stale.)

Wishing you the best.

I raised my chicks on Purina chick starter and they told me it was a grower feed also so I could use it till I switched to Layer feed which I did, and they all healthy.

Wow, is that stale after the bag is opened? Or stale even if it is closed. Because I can't imagine all those bags of feed at the feed store aren't at least close to 42 days old.

The growers I am looking at is 17% but it does have corn in it. Once I get to layer they have a corn free option.

I can actually get the 50 lb and then store it like I do my grains, in mylar bags in 5 gallon buckets. I will also see if they have a 25 lb option. They may.

Thanks for all the help!

Feed bags should have a 'manufactured by' date on them somewhere; don't buy anything that isn't dated. Fresh is best! Some essential vitamins are lost over time, so feed older than four weeks is getting OLD. The protein content and freshness count a lot, which is why I feed Purina Flock Raiser to my birds. It's 20% protein, and available at my local feed stores dated two to four weeks old. If another good quality feed was consistently as fresh or fresher here, I'd consider it. I also always use it up within two or three weeks rather than keeping it for a longer time. Mary

I personally would buy growers. Even if they do not not finish the bag before they start laying, you can offer optional oyster shell as a calcium supplement. Many members feed like this, as a matter of course as growers provides a little more protein and its great for feeding flocks of mixed ages. If you only have pullets, then switching to layers feed, after the growers feed is done is fine.

I agree with CTKen. Grower from 7 weeks to 19-20 weeks or they start to lay.MannaPro makes and organic Grower.
Best,
karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom