Day 22 - just found out the actual temp was 3 degrees lower than the incubator was reading :-(

ChickenHawk12

Chirping
May 7, 2015
I set the eggs at 9:30 pm Sept 8, so 9:30 tonight was a full 22 days and no signs of hatching. A few days ago I put my own thermometer/humidity device inside the (borrowed) incubator and it has been reading 3 degrees lower than the screen on the incubator.

I'm guessing this is why I have no hatchies. It's too late, isn't it?

I'm so sad. My kids are so sad. I already placed an order for 6 more eggs from a hatchery a little closer (I'm in NJ, I got the first set from Iowa and this next set I ordered from Ohio). This is my first time, I didn't plan on using an incubator because I had a persistently broody hen to use, but of course the broodiness stopped right before the eggs arrived so I had to borrow an incubator. It didn't occur to me to put my own thermometer inside, I wasn't prepared.

If I run the incubator at a higher temp with my own thermometer inside, plus the eggs coming from not as far away, do you think I've got a better shot at hatching next time?

hit.gif

I did try to candle them, but I can't tell what I'm looking at. I candled them again today, and there were lots of dark spots but I couldn't see anything moving. To be honest, I see nothing when I look at other people's pictures of their candled eggs, either. Should I bother leaving them in the incubator any longer? I turned up the temp, and the thermometer inside (I put in a Vicks room thermometer that shows temp and humidity that I've had for several years from when my kids were babies) is reading 100 degrees now (the incubator is reading 102.3). It was 96 degrees before. But it's already the end of day #22. Is it a lost cause?

Lower temps can retard development (can't remember how low until it will prevent development) so personally, I'd give them a shot for another couple of days - you have nothing to lose. I do recall a good article on temps / humidity issues on the Brinsea site - http://www.brinsea.co.uk/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=18

Just click on the "what do to if the power goes off" and it will download a pdf file that shows critical temp issues.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will give it another day or two. I don't have high hopes, which is why I already ordered more. Next time, I will use my own thermometer instead of depending on the incubator screen.

Back
Top Bottom