hens or roos, and breeds?

Denmarc

Chirping
Sep 9, 2016
I got the chicks aug 21 they were tiny balls of fluff but no one could say if they were days old or week old

today that puts them at 6-7 weeks old?
any thoughts?

I definitely see a Bared Rock in there. The white one may be a White Rock. And the brownish one might be a Partridge Rock. I'm not sure on the gray one, but maybe an Easter Egger. Individual pics of the birds would help me to be more sure on the breed and help me determine gender too. :)

Okay, so, the white one is a White Plymouth Rock. The black and white one is a Barred Rock. The gray one is an Easter Egger and the brown one is a Partridge Rock. :) Nothing is screaming cockerel yet on either of these chickens, but I am far from an expert on each of those breeds. :)

welcome-byc.gif

Everyone looks female
smile.png

For breeds, I'm going to assume they came from a hatchery and are pure bred birds. If they're from a breeder, they could be mixed....

the barred bird kind of throws me. the barring is so uneven, my first thought was cuckoo Marans. But they have white/pink skin, and this bird looks to have yellow. She could simply be a very messy barred Rock.

The white bird looks like a white Rock.

The brown bird is something like a Welsummer.

The blue bird looks like an Andalusian. She's got the lean body shape of that breed.

All in all, a nice mixed flock
smile.png

:welcome

Everyone looks female :)

For breeds, I'm going to assume they came from a hatchery and are pure bred birds. If they're from a breeder, they could be mixed....

the barred bird kind of throws me. the barring is so uneven, my first thought was cuckoo Marans. But they have white/pink skin, and this bird looks to have yellow. She could simply be a very messy barred Rock.

The brown bird is something like a Welsummer.

The blue bird looks like an Andalusian. She's got the lean body shape of that breed. 

All in all, a nice mixed flock :)

My guesses must be a bit off! :) I hadn't even thought of a Welsummer, but that is a very good thought, and I'm guessing that bird probably is one. For the one I said could be an Easter Egger, I thought it had an odd shaped body, but I wasn't sure and the leg color was throwing me off. I don't know much about the Andalusian breed, so that is a good possibility.

Well, looking back, you may be right on the Partridge Rock. She's got that juvenile pseudo-barring that partridge colored birds have.....

welcome-byc.gif

Everyone looks female
smile.png

All in all, a nice mixed flock
smile.png
I agree, except there is a Partridge Plymouth Rock

thank you for all the input. what should I be looking for if these were to be roos?

I'm pretty sure you'd know if they were male at this point. All those breeds announce themselves pretty early with red combs.

the barred Rock would be much lighter in color if it were male.
The partridge Rock would be a different color, with a black breast.
The white Rock would look the same except thicker legs and a red comb
Same for the Andalusian.

Back
Top Bottom