Injured Goose

SpunksMom

In the Brooder
Oct 3, 2016
Ok, I'm new to this, but I'm desperate for an answer! A couple of nights ago my grey chinese goose was attacked by a dog. She has a couple of really deep punctures and I'm really worried about infection. I can hear her heart beating when I'm close to her and I'm afraid she's already got an infection. No vets around me will help. Need to know if there is a way to get her on some antibiotics. I've sprayed the wound with blukote. She isn't interested in eating, and not sure she is drinking either.

Last edited:
Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! Though I am sorry it is not on a happier note. I have never raised geese, but I have had quite a few ducks and chickens attacked my various animals, including dogs. Make sure you find all the wounds, sometimes wounds will hide down in all those feathers, keep them clean, I used Silver Sulfadiazine cream, it works great, ask your vet if he will sell you any, even if he will not work on the bird itself. Put a towel over the crate that the goose is in to be sure that flies cannot get to it and maggots end up in the wounds. Good luck and I hope this helps!

Try checking with your local feed store-sometimes there are very knowledgeable people that work there and they can advise an antibiotic as you can still buy certain antibiotics at the feed store

I'm pretty sure you can use Vetericyn Wound Care on geese-it's a good all purpose spray that is really works well. You can look it up online

Please keep us posted on your goose

Try checking with your local feed store-sometimes there are very knowledgeable people that work there and they can advise an antibiotic as you can still buy certain antibiotics at the feed store

I'm pretty sure you can use Vetericyn Wound Care on geese-it's a good all purpose spray that is really works well.  You can look it up online

Please keep us posted on your goose
x2 on the Vetericyn. Used it on a pullet's large wound and she completely recovered. I'd use it on myself!

Thank you, might have to pick up some Vetericyn tomorrow. I've applied more blukote though and not sure if I should add anything else. I'm afraid to bathe her since she has the deep puncture. She has drank today, which hopefully is a good sign.

Thank you, might have to pick up some Vetericyn tomorrow. I've applied more blukote though and not sure if I should add anything else. I'm afraid to bathe her since she has the deep puncture. She has drank today, which hopefully is a good sign.
@SpunksMom How is your goose doing now?

She's doing great! She's rejoined the flock outside during the day! She was one happy goose when she got to go back out! :)

She's doing great! She's rejoined the flock outside during the day! She was one happy goose when she got to go back out!
smile.png

That's great news. Thanks so much for updating.. We love a happy update..

Back
Top Bottom