Predator hawks - this keeps them away

hobbychickens

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 8, 2016
THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKS FOR HAWKS!! I mistakenly found this out. I wanted to let my chickens out but keep them from wandering off. We had a roll of that orange construction plastic fencing and put it up. I think we live in hawk heaven here in S. Louisiana and we watch them all the time swoop down and grab doves, red and blue birds. They wont come near my chickens because of the orange fencing!!!! I have watched two hawks in trees near my chickens and they would not come down to my chickens. Our neighbors cant keep chickens because the hawks are so bad here and yet we are going on a year and no problems.
There is nothing over the top, just a 4' orange construction fence - thats it. (of coarse, we have a fenced yard and coop for the chickens at night. We just let them out in the orange area during the day) Also, I do have an old trampoline in the yard in case they need to run for cover, but I have never seen them need it. The color or design of the orange fencing must really confuse the hawks.
I hope word gets out about this because its an amazing discovery.

Hi @Hobbychickens and first off welcome to BYC! Glad to have you join us.

Really interesting observation about the orange snow fencing. I do not free range our flock mainly due to the hawk, owl and eagle population around us and due to the presence of four legged predators of fox, raccoon, possum and coyote.

We have a roll of it up in the barn loft. Might be worth deploying and watching. Not unusual to go out in the morning and find a hawk in a tree near the coop just eyeing the chicken buffet in the pen a short distance away. In the spring we often find feather remains in our pasture from their hunting expeditions.

I am going to try it too. We had something attack one of our ducks about a week ago( she lived but cant put weight on one of her legs.) but then a pullet went missing. so i think the duck was too heavy so it gave up and went for the pullet.

It was later afternoon, so early for raccoon or possum. I dont know what else it could be but a hawk.

How long have you had the fencing up? I think any new and strange looking addition to the environment might deter the hawk for a short time. But I'm willing to bet that they will eventually get used to it.

Also, how big an area did you fence in? It may be less that they are confused/frightened by it and more that the configuration or placement interferes with the hawk's line of attack.

Back
Top Bottom