Anyone feeding New Country Organics?

mich9510

Songster
Jul 21, 2016
Southwest PA
A lot of people on here recommend Scratch n Peck but I have found the brand New Country Organics and I really love it! It's the same consistency as scratch and peck (I ferment), soy free, and has lots of probiotics in it. Around $17 for 25 lbs. And 16$ to ship to me. I think I paid $40 with free shipping from scratch and peck website. It's a little cheaper and does come in 50lb bags. Does anyone else use this feed and what is your opinion.

I am thinking of buying this feed. I have read that barley isn't that great for chickens and the New Country brand doesn't have any whereas the Scratch & Peck does. What do you mean by "I ferment?" Does that mean you are familiar with the ingredients because you ferment? I'm new to chickens and I ferment too (Kombucha, Kefir) so I was just wondering if I need to do something to the feed. Do you feed it dry? Anyway let me know how your chickens like it. Thanks.

Fermenting chicken feed is a lactic acid process, similar to making sauerkraut. It would be similar to kombucha is a way, though I think k relies more on an acetic acid rather than lactic acid process (I think but don't quote me).

Basic process--take feed, cover with water (non chlorinated), stir daily and in three days you have a lovely probiotic mush that enhances the digestability and absorption of nutrients. It is promoted especially for whole grain feeds like NCO or S&P because the wet mash helps make sure that the chooks get the entire feed, which is a combo of whole grains and more of a powder containing the vitamin additives. If not fed wet, the birds can pick thru and only eat the grains they like, losing much of the powder and some don't eat the legume additions which provide needed protein.

I do feed fermented feed to my bunch (many posts will list as FF). I use an organic crumble or pellet feed as I can't justify the cost of NCO or S&P, though I would dearly love a whole grain mix. I love it, and highly recommend. Do a little research on FF, and there is a great (but very long) thread on the subject for most of the pros and cons, plus you can ask further questions specifically about fermenting there.

I decided to go with NCO and my flocks looooove it. I have been mixing it with an organic pellet (about 50% pellet, 50% NCO) to try to off-set the cost. I tried a feed called H and H, which is an organic whole grain feed but the smell is terrible! It's ok dry but I've tried fermenting it a few times but the sulfur smell is horrible. I'll just stick with NCO...lol. I also add ACV to my feed when I ferment.

A lot of people on here recommend Scratch n Peck but I have found the brand New Country Organics and I really love it! It's the same consistency as scratch and peck (I ferment), soy free, and has lots of probiotics in it. Around $17 for 25 lbs. And 16$ to ship to me. I think I paid $40 with free shipping from scratch and peck website. It's a little cheaper and does come in 50lb bags. Does anyone else use this feed and what is your opinion.

I started with Scratch n Peck and my girls did great while on it. I just switched to NCO and they like it just as well. I can get a 50# bag a lot cheaper than what I was getting a 25# bag of Scratch n Peck.

Ok, I would love to do the ferment. So I tried researching recipes for homemade feed but it seems so much more expensive than buying NCO. I looked up a place called Azure Standard and making 50lbs would cost over $100. I can't seem to find a local place to purchase large quantities of grains. I live in MA/RI area. I would so love to make my own if I can find where to get ingredients. And I'm totally down for the fermenting I just need to learn more about fermenting chicken feed. I do soak all my grains in my non flavored Kombucha for 24 hours. Should I add some of that to the mix? And Balloonflower where do you get your organic crumble? And you're saying you can ferment pellets? Also does anyone know why some say Barley isn't so great for chickens? Has anyone heard this? I've read it online. Thanks

Did you notice that there is barley in Scratch & Peck and not in the NCO? I was wondering if you noticed any changes with the NCO? Do you supplement with some type of calcium product or would they get enough in the NCO? And is there anything else I would need to supplement with this feed? The climate gets cold here around November/December so I'm thinking they won't get as much from pasturing. I'm so new to this so any advice is appreciated. Thanks

I buy the 50# bad of NCO, fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of NCO and then cover with water. Add 2 cups of homemade ACV and let it sit till bubbling. Then I drain the liquid off and use the liquid as a starter for the next batch.

And my little ones aren't laying yet so I will supplement with oyster shells when they do. I believe they make a layer ration though. I have a mixed flock of broilers and layers.

@Mom2Sav

You might be interested in this link about fermenting if you haven't already seen it.
http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html

I agree about the price of mixing your own. I also priced out via Azure and as you found, the price is prohibitive. Since then I have found a local mill where I can get my grains at a much more reasonable price--I would only have to order by shipping the vitamin premix I would choose to add. The same I get my crumble from, but it is in Colorado so doesn't really help you out.

I'm sure your chooks would like the soaked grains, but only if you produce more than you need or want to treat them. You can ferment crumble and pellets as well as whole grain mixes. You just end up with a rather unappetizing seeming mush, but they still love it. It's easier for them to eat on the thicker side--I ferment slightly runny and then just add more crumble a couple hours to right before I feed out to make quite thick, as in stays in a mound rather than flattens out when spooned out. This helps keep it from getting splashed all over feathers. If you do ferment pellets or crumble, just know that you won't be able to strain excess liquid off as many fermenting articles mention, since it does turn to such mush.

I don't know for sure, but think that barley may be one of the harder-for-a-chicken-to-process grains. It's not bad for them, and fermenting does help that process greatly. Mine also love sprouted barley at the 1-2" growth stage--I've not grown longer than that into fodder. Sprouting also helps the grain be more digestible.

Back
Top Bottom