Help, day 18!!!

dbarth99

Hatching
Aug 20, 2015
This is my 1st post. I am hoping someone can offer some advice. I have 1 light sussex hen (mr fox paid a visit earlier in the year) and she has been broody and sitting on 6 fertilised eggs from another farm for 18 days. I have been trying to get a red-mite infestation under control for at least 2 weeks and I think it's has got worse. I have another coop that I am building tomorrow, , it is identical in every way so she should be familiar with it. Is it ok to move her now? Give her a good dusting with de. New coop will obviously already be treated. Obviously I could wait until hatch day but that would be horrid for new chicks. I reckon we can make the move from coop to coop inc moving the eggs and dusting in around 4mins at night with really low light! Any advice appreciated

I did some quick research and people have had good luck moving them. Most suggested you do it in the evening close to dusk and there was a little chicken attitude for several minutes after the move but all settled down like nothing happened. Good luck!

Thank you, I don't doubt that she will sit on the eggs. Slightly concerned about breaking her broodyness but what will be will be. My main concern is, is there any issue with handling the eggs this late on? Thanks in advance

I found this on http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/03/hatching-dos-and-donts-egg-selection.html

"-DO put the incubator out of reach of pets or children and teach kids not to touch the eggs or the incubator. Obviously eggs break easily, so they shouldn't be handled during the incubation period except to candle them (I usually candle on days 4, 7 and 18) but also each time the incubator is opened, the temperature drops, so you want to avoid unnecessary handling of the eggs and the incubator settings shouldn't be fiddled with either. "

so you should be fine with the move. keep us posted on how the move went!
pop.gif

almost forgot!!
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hi all, so, the move didn't happen due to when we was about to begin the move, one of the eggs decided nope!!! I'm hatching. So they where left for the evening and hatched overnight. The rest hatched throughout the next day and have now all been moved. Looks like we got ourself a new man around the house to boot. I intend on separating my flock, the Colombian blacktail hens can have there own area and my light Sussex's can have there space. The man can go with the light Sussex's so there is no chance of inbreeding. What would I get if my blacktail mated with a light Sussex?

I do not have much knowledge on breeding two different birds but you could get a bird with a mix of white and brown coloring with a interesting neck of feathers from the Sussex breed.

here is what I found on the web for that type of cross; Black Tail, Gingernut Ranger (Rhode Island Red / Light Sussex)

I believe your Columbian Black tail is a very close cousin of the Rhode Island red, below is the link I found the information on.

https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/hybrid/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom