Fox attack

derek2120

Hatching
Oct 12, 2016
I have bought a chicken from a lady who said it was attacked by a fox and was ok just some feathers missing but when I checked it in the day light I was shocked at how bad it was. Any help what I can do

Welcome to BYC. Clean the wound with clean water diluted with iodine/povidine or what ever is available in your area. Remove the feathers that are sticking to the wound (gently pluck them). Once you have cleaned and dried the area you can apply Blue Kote (some folks claims this prevents feather picking) or any non-greasy antibiotic spray. Ointments will attract dirt to a wound like this and create a mess with all the feathers causing the bird to over groom the area and possibly cannibalize herself. I like to simply dab a chlorhexidine solution and allow the wound to air dry. The wound should heal quickly if the area is not picked at. Clean the wound as needed but make sure to apply whatever product you are using as directed. Check the wound 2 x daily if possible. If maggots get in the wound simply wipe them off and continue your daily wound care. If I have problems with flies I like to use a light coat of Zonk-it fly spray around the area.

Hope this helps and good luck!

I would leave the wound alone..Looks to be healing...If you start fooling around with it you will expose it to dirt and bacteria .....Keep and eye on her..As long as no other bird pecks it? Leave it..The scabs will fall off...Use Blu-kote only if needed....

Cheers!

I think the wound looks like it's healing decently well. He may never be a rooster you show at Fair, but if he's acting okay, I think he'll heal. I'd suggest the Blu-Kote if he/others are pecking it, but otherwise, try some vitamins to put in the chicken's water. A little help from the inside never hurt anyone. Welcome to BYC!!!

Just got one other bird that leaves hur alone. She also keeps lifting one of her legs up and standing on the one but can't really see anything standing out to me

Back
Top Bottom