Month old Guinea keet lame

enon

Hatching
6 Years
May 4, 2013
Hi, I got home last night and found one of 3 month old keet lame. I couldn't find a broken bone, it will put some weight on it. The knee is swollen. I live in rural Colorado, a vet that works on birds is out of the question. I don't know if I should bandage or split it, or leave it. The keet holds it to the side but will put weight.

Hi, I got home last night and found one of 3 month old keet lame. I couldn't find a broken bone, it will put some weight on it. The knee is swollen. I live in rural Colorado, a vet that works on birds is out of the question. I don't know if I should bandage or split it, or leave it. The keet holds it to the side but will put weight.

It is hard to tell from the pictures but my suspicion is a slipped tendon. If you do a search on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum you will find lots of information on slipped tendons and how to deal with it.

I did go through the post, and made a split/cast for it, to keep the leg straight and hopefully keep the tendon in place until the bone grows a little more around it. It is eating and drink, and comes to the front of the cage. Tough little bugger. Not sure how long to keep the cast on, or change it daily... etc. The posts I did find did not have any pictures of guineas with slipped tendon and chickens it said slipped inside, but this one looks slipped to the out side.

I did go through the post, and made a split/cast for it, to keep the leg straight and hopefully keep the tendon in place until the bone grows a little more around it. It is eating and drink, and comes to the front of the cage. Tough little bugger. Not sure how long to keep the cast on, or change it daily... etc. The posts I did find did not have any pictures of guineas with slipped tendon and chickens it said slipped inside, but this one looks slipped to the out side.

It can slip in either direction.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom