squabs attakced by ANTS!

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
Was in the coop to feed the pigeons and heard a couple of 2 week old squabs squeaking differently than usual. I looked into their nest to see the snapping at the air and squeaking, pecking at their bodies and one gasping for breath.

I picked the out and noticed each has a few tiny ants on their body... I know these ants bite and also spray a chemical that stings... I once got sprayed in an eye... so know how painful it is.

I took the squabs out and spent a while picking off the ants. But one squab kept throwing its head up and clicking its beak like it was gasping for air like its trying to be sick.

I get a hunch and look into its beak to see the head of an ant embedded into the inside of the beak right at the back in the corner.

I had to get tweezers and it took quite a while to get it out... the squab did not help with its determination to keep its beak shut!!!

Once the ant head was out and squab was back to usual.. and looked very relieved.

I found other ants in the nest box... so cleaned the thing out and put a lot of anti insect power under everywhere.

This has never happened before in all the years I have kept pigeons.

I was so lucky to notice the strange noise when I went in the coop.. I think just a wile late and they would be dead.

Back
Top Bottom