What Gender and Color is my Quail?

CoturnixKid

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2016
NH

Hatched this baby out of a mixed utility batch I ordered online. I can sex regular wildtype coturnix, but this one has me a bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much :)

That looks like a roux (fawn, dilute wild type). Sexing is the same as for the wilds, just paler - same reddish colouration without chest spots for the boys, and no red and spots for the girls. Looks like a hen to me.

Last edited:
Thank you both! I really was hoping she was a hen. She's pretty and it would be a shame to lose her.

Yep looks just like my Roux. I have two hens like this. Unfortunately, from what I have discovered, the color is recessive so with the males I have I can't get more of this color.
Here's a picture of one of mine. She was being very wiggly and uncooperative but you can see her coloring and spots.

Last edited:
Glad to see this post. I have two in the brooder at a week old that are likely this color. Too light to be pharaoh, too dark to be golden. I have all three to compare side-by-side.

That's interesting eHuman - I have one like that that I'm wondering about, I posted about it a day or two ago. Too light for pharoah, too dark for golden. I'm really hoping it is a roux - I had one hen but lost her in July to a head injury and I've been unable to find another.

Do you have a picture of your chicks? It would be interesting to see what yours look like.

That's interesting eHuman - I have one like that that I'm wondering about, I posted about it a day or two ago. Too light for pharoah, too dark for golden. I'm really hoping it is a roux - I had one hen but lost her in July to a head injury and I've been unable to find another.

Do you have a picture of your chicks? It would be interesting to see what yours look like.

I'll see if I can get one for you later today with all three colors side-by-side.

Here is a picture of mine as chicks. You can see one of the Roux chicks on the top right and one in the middle. The others are Pharaoh and Italian.

Now that definitely is interesting! Thank you for that. They really look like my mystery chick. These are my two little guys:

Back
Top Bottom