Guineas hatching

Jessie22

Chirping
Sep 16, 2016
Wildlife Rehabilitator in NC
I have 10 guinea eggs from my neighbors hen who got hit by a car and I took her eggs to incubate. Yesterday day 27 1 hatched and today day 28, 8 have hatched. They were knocking eggs all over the place but I left them alone and they hatched. This is my first time and had very good success. Now I have 6 silkies (bearded white) due for lock down Oct 17 with hatch date Oct 19. The silkies are shipped eggs and many were not fertile but it is ok I have plenty of guineas. It is tiring though. My 10 X 10 building is on its way. More work to be done. Have a nice day.

yesss.gif

Poor hen, getting hit by a car. That was a good hatch rate with the guinea keets. They must be cute. I have some pearls right now that a Rhode Island Red hen is raising. What kind of keets are they?

My Keats are also Pearl Gray and yes they are cute as a button and energetic! I shine the light in and they follow the light and when they were hatching, I could tell because they got very vocal. I have 1 more egg that has an external pip so some time today it will hatch. 10 out of 10 is a perfect hatch rate. My first time incubating anything but I did read a lot. My temperature was 98.5 to 99 and humidity during lock down was 80%. Monday is lock down for the Bearded Silkies. I was sent 12 eggs with 5 extra and only 6 were fertile. I did tell the lady about it but haven't heard back from her. I got them on ebay. It is okay though with 10 Keats and 6 silkies, I believe that is enough. I do want a Speckled Sussex and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. A place Called GroSmart had the Light Wyandotte but they were straight run. GroSmart is a feed store. I have starter food with 28% protein. How many Keats is your Rhode Island Red raising? What do you have in your coop? Do you have heat and is your coop insulated? I have heard guineas hens aren't good mothers but the hen that got hit by the car, she stayed on the eggs and some times not even eating. I had planned on taking the Keats when they were born because of the wet grass or the flying predators but I ended up with the eggs before hand.

jumpy.gif

I have 10 guinea eggs from my neighbors hen who got hit by a car and I took her eggs to incubate. Yesterday day 27 1 hatched and today day 28, 8 have hatched. They were knocking eggs all over the place but I left them alone and they hatched. This is my first time and had very good success. Now I have 6 silkies (bearded white) due for lock down Oct 17 with hatch date Oct 19. The silkies are shipped eggs and many were not fertile but it is ok I have plenty of guineas. It is tiring though. My 10 X 10 building is on its way. More work to be done. Have a nice day.

yesss.gif

Yay!
celebrate.gif
Congratulations on your hatch rate - although it was due to sad circumstances. Very sorry to hear about the hen.
sad.png

I was wondering what kind of incubator you are using and what was your best reference for reading up on how to do the hatching?

I'm trying to get ahead of the game so I can be ready to go this spring. I have a flock of 13 guineas total - 4 regular pearls and 9 pearls that are Jumbo or French. They did start laying eggs this fall at 4 1/2 weeks and one went broody for a couple of days, but gave up the nest when I found her in the grass. I've added some private places in their barn to encourage them to lay inside, but MY plans are not necessarily what THEY will do. I'm keeping my options open and that includes taking some eggs to hatch.

Good luck with the keets and post some pictures when you get the chance. They will keep you busy! Enjoy!

Here are my keats!!

I have 2 incubators that are Hovabator 1602N, one has a egg turner with fan and the other just has a fan. Wow I read alot about guineas on this web site and My Pet Chicken website and Cath at Raising chickens. I had 2 thermometers, one came with the incubator and I bought another one on amazon.com were it sits on top and a small thing (don't know what its called) goes on the inside. What are you going to incubate if its with guineas just ask me and I can help and will be glad to. My lock down temperature was 99 and my humidity was 80%. Guineas are a little different. You will notice alot of people have different temps and humidity but the higher it makes the egg softer for the Keats to get out. Its not soft like a boiled egg but it is better for the Keats. Most of mine hatched on day 28 with 1 hatched the day before and 2 hatched the day after. My neighbor has 2 male guineas and the Grey one is the daddy to my Keats. I saw them mating. Now guess what my silkies are hatching! They are shipped eggs so I don't know how many will hatch but one has hatched while I slept and I thought the egg wasn't going to hatch, I thought it might explode so it was by itself in an incubator and to my surprise when I got up I heard like scratching in the incubator and I went to look and the silkie was almost dry. Once he dries I am going to put him in with the other eggs. Another egg has an external pip and should break free very soon. I have 6 silkie eggs, they are great broodie hens and good mothers. Like I need more guineas. The only thing they have fluff not feathers and you have to keep them dry, if they get wet it will soak right through and kill them due to the chill and they can't fly. Anyway my guineas are eating great and they sure do go to the bathroom alot.

Back
Top Bottom