Tips for long journies with a dog, please!

la dee da

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 18, 2008
Missouri
Hello everyone!

My mom and I plan to go to Texas at the end of this month to pick up a dog, and I'm so excited! The thing is, it's a 19 hour trip one way, and I've never traveled more than half an hour with a dog. She's well behaved and leash trained, and I'll be bringing two leashes, just in case. I'll also be bringing poop bags and a plastic container to keep poop-filled bags in, just in case there aren't trash cans nearby when she has to go. I'd like some tips and tricks on how to do long trips with a dog, please!

1. Take her out once an hour.
2. Pack at least two boredom busters, such as kongs, bones, treat puzzles, etc.
3. Make sure to ALWAYS have water available.
4. Try to get as much of your dogs energy out before the ride as you can, with running, playing, etc.
5. It's probably a good idea to crate your dog while driving, to reduce the risk of injury in he case of an accident, but it's up to you.
6. You can also buy a dog seatbelt instead, if you want to.
7. Don't feed your dog in the car, as that might make them more carsick.
8. Instead, wait until there's a break, and then give her a high-protien snack.
9. And of course- don't ever, ever, EVER leave your dog in the car alone, EVEN with the windows cracked, it's still VERY hot.
10. I recommend not using any medication or sedative to calm your dog down, but that choice is up to you.

Good luck! Tell me how it goes!
-Ameraucanas
smile.png

1. Take her out once an hour.
2. Pack at least two boredom busters, such as kongs, bones, treat puzzles, etc.
3. Make sure to ALWAYS have water available.
4. Try to get as much of your dogs energy out before the ride as you can, with running, playing, etc.
5. It's probably a good idea to crate your dog while driving, to reduce the risk of injury in he case of an accident, but it's up to you.
6. You can also buy a dog seatbelt instead, if you want to.
7. Don't feed your dog in the car, as that might make them more carsick.
8. Instead, wait until there's a break, and then give her a high-protien snack.
9. And of course- don't ever, ever, EVER leave your dog in the car alone, EVEN with the windows cracked, it's still VERY hot.
10. I recommend not using any medication or sedative to calm your dog down, but that choice is up to you.

Good luck!  Tell me how it goes!
-Ameraucanas :)
All great rules. Also make sure that, if you don't crate her, she doesn't have so much space that she is falling over. Try to keep her from standing up, but most likely, she will lay down by herself.

crate her or use a doggie seat belt. don't have her loose in the car and don't use the leash/collar to hold her to the seatbelt.

Regular potty breaks and water. I stop every couple hours if it's an older dog that is housebroken. Low key walks when you make any stops. Feed lightly before you start and a small snack later.

We travel frequently for shows and other events.

Lots of great tips, thank you!

She doesn't like enclosed spaces like crates, so I'll look into the seat belt option. How do I make sure water's available all the time? Wouldn't the bowl just spill? I was thinking of bringing her food/water dishes and a jug of water specifically for her, then giving her some food and as much water as she wants during breaks (which I now know should be every couple hours).

Do you guys have suggestions for boredom busting toys?

She doesn't need water available all the time. She's fine to drink when you take a break. What you're thinking about a jug and bowl is perfect.

I wouldn't worry about boredom busters too much. I'd just plan to exercise during breaks. What breed is she? I've had lower-energy dogs for the most part, and they'd likely sleep the majority of that trip.

Good to know I can just give her water on breaks! She's an old time scotch collie and fairly energetic, so I think having at least one thing to help keep her from being bored would be a good back-up.

Side note: does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive car harness, preferably under $20? My head's about to explode looking for one on Amazon. I've been doing research for days now, and it's starting to catch up to me!

I use a kurega harness. I spelled that wrong. I prefer to have the attachment that clicks into the seat belt latch vs one that the seat belt itself goes through the loop.

I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/Kurgo-Tru-Fi...6742431&sr=1-1&keywords=kurgo+dog+harness+car

but use this attachment https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rd_wg=AZBu7&psc=1&refRID=BDDG46MWMCGN1RCFTFYH

I wouldn't do boredom toys in the car. better to let her just relax and chill out in the car. You don't want her playing with toys and moving around.

Thank you, I'll look into that harness. I hadn't considered toys encouraging her to move around (we never had dogs that liked toys), so thank you for that as well! If we have problems with boredom, I guess we'll just have to get creative or stop more often.

you can stuff a kong with her regular kibble and feed her that way (might have to vacuum the car well) or get a length of marrow bone from the butcher. You'll want to take out a lot of the marrow if she isn't used to eating raw cause it can give her the runs. But it will be something tasty for her to chew on and help keep her relaxed and occupied. Get a length at least 3 inches to avoid issues. If she is a heavy chewer, keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't cracking her teeth or anything. A deer antler also works for some dogs, if they are interested in them.

Back
Top Bottom