Update on staggered hatch

nikchick

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2015
West Tn
I posted a few weeks ago about our broody having a staggered hatch. Here they are today. It's pretty easy to tell which came first to last by size. Mom cares for all babies the same and despite the fact its siblings are almost feathered out while it is just not getting feathers, the little one keeps up with the bigger guys just fine.

Cute pics! What breed/s are they?
Here's a few pics of our babies - We had one born late Saturday, one born early Sunday morning, and the little yellow one wasn't born until mid-day on Monday the 17th.

The two dark ones are half while Silkie (mom) and half Belgian Bearded D'uccle Mille Fleur (dad)
The all yellow one is pure Silkie (both parents are blue-ribbon winners at the Iowa State Fair)

I love silkies! Ours are just a backyard mix. Mom is a pure Cuckoo marans and dad is who knows what. We had a full cuckoo marans rooster, but he passed away. Not two days later, my husband woke me up early one morning to look at the chickens. Lo and behold, a rooster had just showed up. He is colored similar to a black sex link hen and has a rose comb. To be honest, I'm not very fond of him. He's the first rooster I've ever seen that doesn't take care of all the hens, but favors only a few and chases the others if they get too close.

Back
Top Bottom