New here and need help aging my chicks!

RCCheshire

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2016
Southeast Missouri
Hello! I am new to this forum and am so thankful I found it! We have had hens and a rooster since last year but I finally broke down and decided to raise some chicks. We bought three chicks from a local farm supply store last week and the man working said he estimated the chicks to be three weeks old. After browsing this site for a few days, I have my doubts that they are that old. Maybe he meant three days? I'm not sure. I have added a picture of them last week.

Meet Ruby (RIR), Maya (SLW) and Daisy (BA)! Please let me know your opinions on their ages! Thanks so much in advance.

Welcome to BYC! :welcome What cute chicks! They're definitely not three weeks, but I'm not the best on age so hopefully someone else can take a guess. :) To me though, they don't look much over a week. Good luck and enjoy BYC as much as everyone else does!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! :welcome What cute chicks! They're definitely not three weeks, but I'm not the best on age so hopefully someone else can take a guess. :) To me though, they don't look much over a week. Good luck and enjoy BYC as much as everyone else does!

Thank you so much!! I think I'm going to love it here. I've been lurking for quite a while and enjoy it! We have had them for eight days and their wings aren't completely feathered yet and two of them have just developed tail feathers within the last few days. Fingers crossed that they're all pullets! Lol!

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have two BA's and eight SLW's! They are great birds! I would estimate they are close to twelve days old, but I am terrible at these this, so somebody else may have some more knowledgeable input. I hope you make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have!

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I have two BA's and eight SLW's! They are great birds! I would estimate they are close to twelve days old, but I am terrible at these this, so somebody else may have some more knowledgeable input. I hope you make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have!

Daisy is our second BA and they are both such calm girls. I love all my chickens but Ethel and Daisy are definitely special. I'm a little worried about the SLW turning out to be a roo. I hope not though bc I don't think our Fred would be a fan. :(

Daisy is our second BA and they are both such calm girls. I love all my chickens but Ethel and Daisy are definitely special. I'm a little worried about the SLW turning out to be a roo. I hope not though bc I don't think our Fred would be a fan. :(
yes, out of the eight hens I was supposed to get, three are roosters and I am having a terrible time getting rid of them, so I hope yours is a hen!

yes, out of the eight hens I was supposed to get, three are roosters and I am having a terrible time getting rid of them, so I hope yours is a hen!

I have a friend with a large farm not far from us who we got three of our hens from and some of our rabbits. She will take the rooster for us if needed but fingers crossed it's a she. We're definitely already attached to the little gal/guy. :)

I have a friend with a large farm not far from us who we got three of our hens from and some of our rabbits. She will take the rooster for us if needed but fingers crossed it's a she. We're definitely already attached to the little gal/guy. :)
Well, at least you have a plan B, I did not even consider the fact I had a pretty significant chance of ending up with some roosters and here I am stuck with three six months later :he.

Sometimes, but as long as my ratio of hens to roosters is OK, they do not fight too much. I have eight roosters in all, I just need enough hens that they do not fight over them. A god ratio can be anywhere from six hens to an rooster to thirty hens to a rooster depending on whom you ask. If you ask me, I say nine to an rooster is good. But I still have two too many roosters. *sigh.
That would be terrible! :( do you have trouble with them since there is more than one roo?

Back
Top Bottom