Cockatoos

GingaandNigella

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2015
I have a 1 year old drake and often, cockatoos would come to steal and eat his food, and when he comes near, the cockatoos threaten him by walking towards him which often scares my duck and makes him run and sometimes trips. Any of you have any solutions to this? The cockatoos are really annoying and i want them to stop stealing my drake's food and scaring him. Thanks
yippiechickie.gif

Well I don't know much about Cockatoos, accept they are smart. If it were me I would try to put his food in something that resembles a cage. Something with a top and only a small hole to get inside. You could experiment with just a cardboard box. I'm thinking they will be less inclined to go in something that they cannot easily fly right out of. But your drake can be taught to go in with some yummy treats.

Or maybe those motion sensors that connect to your hose that are meant to scare off deer. If you could set them up in a way that an incoming Cockatoo would set it off but your duck wouldn't they would get sprayed when they come near. I think there are also motion censors that spray out air that are meant to keep cats and dogs out of certain areas. Don't know if it would bother a bird.

If that fails I would stop leaving his food out. Just feed him a few times a day and then put the food away. I'm sure you are tired of paying to feed these intruders but the bigger worry is the diseases they could be exposing your drake to.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying! I think i could try to put his food in his cage where he sleeps, but if that dosen't change anything and the cockatoos still come back, i might try the box idea though yes the cockatoos are very smart, they tried to tip the water from the container once.

Back
Top Bottom