Is my RIR about to lay an egg??

warren86

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2016
She's been standing funny today and from what I read it's the egg squating am I right or is something wrong?

Howdy warren86

The 'squat' is when the hen squats down on the ground so that a rooster can mount her. Hens will squat for lots of things including humans, dogs and cats
wink.png
When they start squatting it is a a sign that they are coming into lay and usually 2-3 days after they start squatting, that first egg arrives.

A hen coming into lay can also get a little flustered, dig around in the nest box, pace a lot etc.

However, I agree with minihorse927, she looks overheated to me also. I note the chickens in the background are also open mouthed and also possibly hot.

They always have fresh water I give new water everyday the coop is also vented but plan on building 2 more 24x24 windows!! Would it be better to insulate the rafters and put up a layer of plywood to keep the heat from coming down into the coop?

Hey warren86 you may have noted that I am in Aus, so I am not sure what time it is there. However, I do have a little experience with heat.

Just wondering why they are in the coop when it is hot? My gals prefer to lay in the shade in the run or under the foliage in the garden … you very rarely find them in the coop in the heat except to lay an egg.

Or was that picture taken at night time?

Besides the fresh water you are already giving them, watermelon is a good way to keep them hydrated and most chickens seem to love it.

Yes that was taken at 8pm at night in the coop so they was resting for the night..they have a big run that is also shaded

I'm in southern Ohio so close. It was hot today and most of mine were panting and hot. It is normal. She should feel better overnight. As long as they have fresh water and watermelon is a good and fun idea for hydration.

Cool, thanks for clarifying that warren86

I am sorry that I am not able to answer your question regarding the insulating and plywood etc but I hope that someone else will chime in to assist.

If you post some pictures of your coop, others may be able to assist with increasing the ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom