Needing Coop help!

Cassey

In the Brooder
May 20, 2016
Rural
Hi! I'm a first time chicken owner.
We have 24 chickens (20 hens, 4 roosters, getting rid of 2 roosters on Saturday).

The coop was made out of the based of our hand-built playhouse.
The coop is 7x7

The guy who built the perches, built them weirdly. The perching area is very big.
Because the perches are built weirdly is hard to clean the poop under.

Because of the lack of space we have the chickens hanging water and feeder hanging in the middle of the coop.

We also have 5 nesting boxes (getting more built Sunday)

We not liking the layout and plan on remodeling, cause we're wanting a more functional coop.
I'll upload a picture of the layout, soon.

I would love ideas, and pictures.
I would love to know what worked for you, and what didn't work.

Thanks!

Cassey, it might help if we had a rough area where you lived. Your weather could have a lot to do with my responses. I suggest modifying your profile to show your general area. Or at least include it in your next post to help with these questions.

A 7x7 coop is kind of tight for that many chickens but whether it is too tight or not will depend on how much other space is available and when it is available and some other factors. Can you give us how much room they have outside the coop and let us know how you manage them as far as locking them up and letting them out? It never hurts tell us their age either, that might make a difference. Knowing your goals can sometimes help a lot too. Why do you have chickens? What do you hope to get from them? Specifically why do you want two roosters but your other general goals could help.

You’re right on the border with five nests for 20 hens. Five will probably be enough. If they are 12” x 12” or smaller, maybe it will be tight. But if they are a little larger than 12” x 12” you should be OK. I’d probably not add any more unless I saw a problem.

Your problems are showing a big reason I always advocate more room, you don’t have a lot of flexibility in addressing issues. By the time you have enough roost space in there you don’t have much room left over for nests, feed, or water. And it will make it hard to work in there without banging into things like roosts.

This doesn’t mean it can’t be made to work but you might wind up working harder than you normally would if you had more space. When I look at these things I’m looking at your comfort and convenience as much as what your chickens need. If you look at the link in my signature you can see some of my thoughts on why you need room. Most of those are about you, not the chickens. If you work hard enough you can make a lot of things work.

I’ll be looking forward to your photos and some more information.

Hi, RidgeRunner!

-I live in Corryton, Tn, in the country/rural. Here's a picture.

The chickens are free range.
They have a 1/4 of an acre to roam.

We let them 6-8 ever morning.
We shut the chicken door at night when they all go in, which is about 7-8:45.
This depends on the season. Right now, we opening the chicken door at 6:50 and shutting it at 7:50

Our chickens are 7-9 months old.
We have chickens for eggs, meat, and baby chicks.
The breed is red road islands.

We have a big water outside, and a kiddie pool filled with water.
They don't swim in the kiddie pool, just drink out of it.

We have a 2 gallon bowl outside for their food.
We have a hanging feeder inside and 2 tiny waters.

When they try to fly down from the perches some of they run into the feeder.

I hope that this will help. I'll add more pictures once I able to get some.

I just drew the up quickly, but this is the layout.
PINK: perches
RED: Water
PURPLE: feeder
BLUE: sliding chicken door
YELLOW: nesting boxes
ORANGE: Door, which is how we enter. (It's a french door)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would ditch the inside waterers and feeders as they basically sleep and poop at night. Then you may be able to rework the interior of the coop to make it more efficient.
How tall is the interior? Can you stand up comfortably now?

Last edited:
ABchickenguy, thanks! If don't mind, could you tell me what changes I should consider? Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
It's a slope ceiling. The tallest point is little taller than 6 feet and the shorter point is 5 feet 6 inches.

I would suggest a ladder style roost that has enough space for all the birds (about 12" per bird). You could make it hinged so it flips up out of the way for easier cleaning. If you need more room you could have the high side over the chicken door.
Oops. After looking at you sketch I would keep the high side where it is across from the nest boxes. Any chance of moving the nest boxes to the exterior and cutting access holes through the wall?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom