Butt Pecking

KayC2016

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2016
Remlap, Alabama
Need Suggestions Please!! I have two new Orpingtons that I introduced about 10 days ago. Everything is going pretty well, however, they have yet to get their tail feathers and there is a lot of butt pecking going on. I have applied antibiotic ointment and sprayed with bluekote to cover their bottoms with purple...but they are still pecking their little bare butts. I really have no way of separating other than a medium sized dog cage till they get their tail feathers in. Any suggestions on what else I might be able to do to help them?

Thank you!

How did you integrate them? What is your run and coop size? What are the age differences between your newbies and the established flock?

It's quite normal for dominance to be established (and reinforced) by pecking to the back of the head, butt pecking is not. Feather pecking is a response to environmental stressors, and I'd suggest looking at trying to fix the causes, whilst treating the symptoms.

I would be inclined to think that the causes of the butt pecking relate to them not being able to perform their "natural" behaviours and if you have not observed this behaviour before, it could well relate to space either directly, or indirectly. The suggested minimum coop space is 10sqft per bird.

I have a 25 x 25 run that is covered with avian netting. The same setup as where I purchased them. The coop is 5 x 12. I have 11 hens. I live in a remote area on 12 acres and it is very quiet with no outside stressors. I placed the newbies in a dog cage within the coop for several days. They new ones are approximately 4 weeks younger. They seemed to be more stressed in the cage than when they were in the run. They have done well with each other except for a few want to peck on the bare bottom of my Blue Orpington. The Jubilee that I integrated at the same time is doing well with minimal pecking. They are not attacking but it's like the bare skin just catches their attention and they do a quick peck.

Last edited:
It seems like you have a great set-up. Do you let your flock out to free range? Loos like you have wood shavings on the run floor. If they do not free range then foraging behaviour in the run would not yield the result of food and would be a stressor. Not having dust bathing provisions, ditto.

It could well be something that will pass , with time. It seems that we all have different experiences, regardless of what scientific research claims. It does no harm to look into innate behaviours and ensure, as far as possible, that we try to provide the most ideal environment for our flock.

Thank you....I do have pine shavings in the coop, but the run is dirt...used to have grass, but they trampled that. Unfortunately, due to the predators in our area, I am unable to allow them to free range. I usually throw out some BOSS occasionally as well as some of their layer pellets.

Thank you so much for your advice! I am new to this and am trying to learn as much as I can and people, such as yourself, are always so willing to share their knowledge.

You are most welcome- I sincerely hope that all works put well - i am sure it will.

It sounds like they could be bored... You can suspend cabbage from the coop ceiling and poke holes in a water bottle filled with scratch for a little chicken soccer. :) Garden scraps also work well to give them something to scratch through and nibble on.

If you see anyone EATING the feathers, it's possible there's a protein deficiency... though most commercially available layer rations don't have this issue.

I'd also check them for lice and mites... Sometimes, chickens will pull their own feathers out in frustration, which leads to pecking when their little skins become exposed. You can treat that with poultry dust.

Hope that helps!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom