When to start deep litter

Pats Poultry

Chirping
Oct 17, 2016
Colorful Colorado
Hi All,
My trees have started to drop their leaves and I am still cutting my grass, I don't know why but I have been reading a bunch about the deep litter method for the coops and runs. I just finished my coop but have not started the run yet. From what I have been reading this is the way to go. My question is should I start this deep litter method now or wait until spring when I expect to get our chicks. Lots of leaves and clippings to get started if that is the way to go. If so what else should I add to it during the winter months.

I would wait and not place any composting material in the coop until you have chickens in it. The management of the deep litter method does take a little time to maintain and since there are no chickens in it you are just wasting your time doing the maintenance. I took a look at your pictures and the coop looks great! Also putting in clean fresh litter in the beginning, I think will help your new chicks better accumulate to the new environment. Finally you do not want bugs and critter living in your new coop before you even have chickens in it and possible destroy what you have built.
wink.png

trust me once you have the chickens in the coop and run you will have PLENTY composting material to get a deep litter started.
wink.png

Last edited:
Thanks Blair,
Really new to this and looking forward to the adventure. I will wait till spring and the chicks, **** that is to bad because now I have to bag all of the leaves and crabapples. Two things that are good for nothing are dog poop and crabapples and I have tons of both
barnie.gif

I would save and put the leaf litter in a pile and or open air composter next to or near the run/pen for next year if you have the space. Your chickens will love to explore the pile for buggy treats.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
I have a three section composting system I put all my yard litter and food scraps in and my chickens work the piles faster than I can turn them myself. What once took several months to work a compost pile is now done in a couple weeks with the help of my flock.
wee.gif

Welcome to BYC......That is a cool coop Pat!

Agrees with Blair....compost your yard waste in another area for now and you can add it to your run next year.
You don't want to use dog poop in your DL.... or too many fresh green grass clipping(molds and crop impaction can be a problem).
Not sure about the carb apples, anything too wet(or too much wet stuff) can throw off the balance of the decomposition.
Dry(brown) materials are best. Most the 'green' material is chicken poop.
Hopefully you understand the 'brown' and 'green' of composting materials balance.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Back
Top Bottom