Adding new birds

ChickenKeep01

Songster
5 Years
Jul 2, 2016
Australia
Adding new birds isn't new to me i have added 2 Japanese Bantams to my flock before but i'm getting 2 or 3 new hens soon they will most likely be wyandottes but i'm wondering if my 2 Japanese Bantams will be okay (the hen gets picked on a little bit by my 2 isa browns not much and only when they are eating) When i add the 2 or 3 new hens in. Will they be okay and just have to wait until the other birds are done or will they get picked on to much?

It all depends on the personalities of the birds. I have ohiki hens(about the same size as your japanese) who live with my main layers and they will whoop anything that comes near them. They beat the crap out of my large phoenix rooster on a regular basis. They are not known to be aggressive and I've never see them become aggressive unless provoked.

Well I don't think honk my bantam is quite as meant ally strong as yours when she goes broody the is a Browns will kick her out of the box to lay! But she does chase the rooster who chases the isa browns but She won't chase the isa browns which is quite odd

Hi.
frow.gif

First and foremost, I recommend quarantine of the new hens so your flock doesn't catch anything that might not be showing symptoms yet. That means not close to each other. I would bring some of your dirt into the quarantine area so they can build a little immunity to the organisms in your coop/yard as well. After that the look but don't touch method is preferred for a period of time. You said you've done it before, so maybe you didn't want that info.

My Wyandotte girls are fine, not too aggressive. But the 2 young boys I have are jerks. More than that though, I would say that each bird is an individual. My silkies are jerks when they get the chance. It appears as though poo rolls down hill!
sickbyc.gif

They may get picked on. Or they could be the ones who do the picking.
hu.gif
It all depends on the individuals and the dynamics. The look but don't touch method helps them to establish the pecking order a little before full integration and helps to avoid full on beat downs.

Best wishes!

Well I never knew about checking for symptoms before and introducing them to the dirt but I don't think these birds will have any desesies because they come from one of the biggest suppliers of the state I live in

Back
Top Bottom