My 6 hear old Buff Orpington mix is starting to Cock-A-Doodle Doo! What is that about?

Chickmagnet9

Songster
11 Years
Nov 16, 2011
I've had this chicken for almost 6 years, now. She is my best girl. She is sweet, grandmotherly and still laying eggs, believe it or not. For the past couple of days, she's been coming out of the coop in the morning and belting it out whilst flapping her wings. It's cracking me up and confusing me all at the same time. What is this all about? I'm going to try to get a video of it and post.

Thanks,
Chickmagnet9

Last edited:
Is she attempting to crow? Could be her age is catching up to her and she is starting to go through "henopause".

HAHAHAHAHA!!! She IS crowing. It's the funniest thing I've ever heard and seen. I love her.

She will likely quit laying on you and possibly even developed a bigger comb and wattles and start to look more like a rooster.

It is interesting to see a hen Crow though! :lau

Last edited:
I've got an older hen(30mo) started crowing this year...she's still molting I think.....time will tell if she starts laying again.
She crows along with the cockbird most mornings, but not during the day...it's pretty typical crow, just not quite as strident.
The cockbird is definitely molting and I've seen her help him with alarm herding.

Hi all! I wanted to pop back in and let you know I've been trying to get video of Connie but I think she knows. Since I entered the original post, I have not heard her do it. This morning I went to let them out for the day, walked away, went back inside to get my lunch and lock up, went out to my car and COCK-A-DOODLE DOOOOOO! No, not once but several times! That little ****. The front of my house is far away from the back where they are. I couldn't even grab my phone and run back to her. Tomorrow morning I am going to get my coffee, bundle up, let them out and wait....camera ready. I'm determined to get video. By the way, she is molting.

Back
Top Bottom