Suggestions for Wyoming winter

new2chickens307

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2016
So I have been reading through the posts on preparing for winter and I still have a couple questions. Attached are some pictures of our coop and as you can see the hen house is on the smaller side. There will be five birds in the house over winter. From what I have read they should supply enough of their own heat to stay warm and is the preferred option, being that if I supply a heat source and power goes out they are even more susceptible since they have not developed a cold tolerance. My concern is that the removable tray in the coop is metal, any suggestions on insulating it? Best substrate for heat retention? (We have just used straw for the summer but I feel it will be to cold over winter) Or would you find a way to mount an insulated heating pad? I am planning on creating a wind/snow block for them as well...would straw bales stacked be effective enough or would thick plastic be better to allow sun to heat like a green house effect? And the last question, the substrate in the run is just dirt, what would be best to leave it alone add sand (worried that will be even colder), or some sort of mulch? I would truly appreciate any advice...

[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom