Please help me ASAP! !!

Hayamz

Chirping
Oct 11, 2016
Hello , I have a chicken she's 5 months old she laid her first egg 2 weeks ago , she takes a break from laying for 2 days and lays in the 3rd day , I have been told that it's normal for the new laying hen , anyways today she was doing fine all morning eating , scratching , sun bathing playing all around , by the end of the day and when it's time to sleep she has been standing up for almost all night with her head down touching the ground , it's not normal to stay like that all that time , she likes to sleep standing up but not for that much time , she also usually wakes up to eat or drink a little but tonight nothing went in her stomach at all , I thought she will be doing fine by the morning but the sun is up now and still she won't move around , eat or drink , her eyes are closed all the time , her droppings are fine nothing unusual, her comb and wattles are hot and red , but I noticed while she breaths her wattles are coming close to each other and in between which I believe it's her throat is moving in and out , also her wings are down for a little bit not all the way down and are moving in and out while inhaling and exhaling, I don't know what to do I'm so scared , she is always active but it's the first time for me to see her like that , I have no vet anywhere near me so I have to do something to help her on my own , oh and also her beak is closed normally while breathing ,now I notice that she's drinking , no food went inside her for more than 15 hours now , please help me

Oh dear!
I'm no expert so hopefully someone else can help out here.
Separate her, bring her inside and keep her warm!
Maybe help her to eat and drink via syringe, and keep an eye on her breathing.
Maybe she's egg bound? Have a feel for any hard masses.
Good luck!
- Sunny

Mix up some electrolytes in her water if you can or get some SaveAChick at a feed store. Offer her some chopped egg or canned tuna in addition to her feed. Try adding water to a small amount of feed in a bowl, making a thin cereal. Check inside her vent with one finger inserted 1-2 inches for a stuck egg. She could be dehydrated, or possibly sick from something such as coccidiosis. Symptoms are sleepiness, standing hunched or puffed up, runny droppings with mucus or blood, and no appetite. Amprollium ( corid) is the best treatment, but others are used in other countries. Here is a good article on egg binding: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

Last edited:
Hello , thanks for your answer , here's an update , at 9.00 am she laid an egg , the egg shell was so weak that it was like a balloon filled with water once it touched the floor it exploded , my hen tried to eat the yolk that came out but I saved the day and removed it so quickly so she won't continue eating it , laying that egg was so hard for her she was struggling but the egg was so small so I guess there wasn't an egg binding because these symptoms were only all night and the first hours of the morning , once the egg was laid my hen was just fine she started to eat and to drink , she started to play and mess around and her she started to make her happy sounds :D I'm not an expert but I guess there was no enough calcium in her system and her body was struggling to built the shell but couldn't that's why she was so tired , I know that I have to give her oyster shell but I don't know where to get that I'm not from the US and it's not easy to just go and buy the oyster shell , I gave her egg shells on Wednesday and she laid a normal strong egg on Thursday , I didn't give her any source of calcium since then that's why I guess she struggled with the new egg , I usually give her table scraps or leftovers such as bread , fish , chicken , meat , vegetables and all are cooked of course , also fruits as apples , pomegrenates , anything with green leaves as cabbages and stuff , what else should I do to make her form a strong shells ? it's the only hen I have and it was so hard for me to watch her in that condition and I don't want to see that again :(

Back
Top Bottom