She is attacking me!!!

MeNKJ

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2016
My 6 month old Ancona, who has yet to lay, has been attacking me!. First it was a peck or two when i would let them out. Now it is full on attacks from across the yard and drawing blood! She only does this to ME and I'M the one who feeds them all the goodies and gives them extra love! I dont get it. We are first time chicken owners so thoughts, ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated!

I had posted pictures not too long ago and everyone seemed sure she is a she.. no crowing but no eggs and boy has she been mean to me
1f622.png

Last edited:
X 2 on being sure it's a girl. Also, there is a common misconception that if we feed and love up on chickens, treating them as little lap dogs, they will immediately and always love us back. Um, not so much. In some cases, all that lovey dovey stuff toward them emboldens them....they no longer see us as critters to respect. Instead they begin to compete with us. You see yourself bringing them food but they see you interfering with the food. You see yourself picking up and petting one of the gentler birds in the flock, but they see you attacking the flock and taking one of "theirs", and they go into protection mode. It doesn't take long before every time they see you they go into "attack to defend" mode. You become just another flock member to keep in line.

Of course, it varies in individual chickens. In many cases that affection is returned to the owner through the lifetime of the bird. But within any flock can be an "overprotector."

There are ways to deal with this, and maybe train it out of them. I don't usually hold with it, simply because of the cases where the bird WAS trained to successfully leave the one doing the training alone but everyone else became fair game. I'd be willing to speculate that your "attack chicken" is really a cockerel, just feeling his hormones and power. You can do a search in the box at the top for training an aggressive rooster, and there is a lot of information out there. Good luck!

Your bird could be a late bloomer cockrel. I'm not familiar with that particular breed, but guessing it's a mediterranean, prone to huge comb and wattles. May be late developing hackles and sickles. Can you post a more recent pic? What Blooie said. I employ a no touch, must respect, and stay out of the way of the care giver dominance training with all suspected roos, or even with hens who exhibit aggressive tendencies. Do a thread search for Rooster dominance training.

Your bird could be a late bloomer cockrel.  I'm not familiar with that particular breed, but guessing it's a mediterranean, prone to huge comb and wattles.  May be late developing hackles and sickles.  Can you post a more recent pic?  What Blooie said.  I employ a no touch, must respect, and stay out of the way of the care giver dominance training with all suspected roos, or even with hens who exhibit aggressive tendencies.  Do a thread search for Rooster dominance training.

The picture i posted is from this week. She is the black one.

Thank you guys for the thoughts so far! Blooie, what you are saying actually makes perfect sense, if indeed she is a female. We dont have a roo, just the 2 girls and because the other girl is more lovable i have lavished her with more physical attention which does seem to concern the girl in question. Thank you for that info!

Back
Top Bottom